Rounded off drain plug

/ Rounded off drain plug #291  
use a pipe wrench on it, it'll come off easily.. welding a nut on it while it's still on the transmission MIGHT seem like a good idea, but, you would be putting uneven heat to it, which may cause it to crack.. not to mention the fire inside the case from heating up the fluid..

/ Rounded off drain plug #292  
use a pipe wrench on it, it'll come off easily.. welding a nut on it while it's still on the transmission MIGHT seem like a good idea, but, you would be putting uneven heat to it, which may cause it to crack.. not to mention the fire inside the case from heating up the fluid..

Gee, that's a good idea, I wonder why noone thought of that in the previous 290 posts?

/ Rounded off drain plug
Gee, that's a good idea, I wonder why noone thought of that in the previous 290 posts?

The pipe wrench idea has also been tried, by myself and someone more mechanically inclined than me. Conclusion from both of us matches, pipe wrench just isn't cutting it. Simply stripping more material from the plug and rounding it more. It may work eventually but we're looking into it.

/ Rounded off drain plug #294  
Just a wild thought here but any chance the pan and plug are dissimilar metals and have electrolysis welded themselves together? Like aluminum plug and steel pan? Just a thought as we near 300 posts.

/ Rounded off drain plug #295  
I think it is a steel plug in the casting. I think the main issue it is in a bear of a location to remove so it may not have been removed that often perhaps.

Welding on a nut may be the best shot as others have mentioned. It would give a way to get a 6 point socket on and the welding heat might help some. Going back with a new plug with a new nut welded on it from the get go because it is hard to reach easy may be something you already plan to do.

Over time being in a bad location the square head just got chewed on one time too many times.

You will get it out when you get the time to focus on it I am sure.

/ Rounded off drain plug #296  
The pipe wrench idea has also been tried, by myself and someone more mechanically inclined than me. Conclusion from both of us matches, pipe wrench just isn't cutting it. Simply stripping more material from the plug and rounding it more. It may work eventually but we're looking into it.
there's another method, spray liquid nitrogen Liquid Nitrogen Spray: Amazon.com on the plug only, that will make the plug shrink, and it may be removable then. being you only have 1.5" clearance to work, if this method don't work, be prepared to have to remove the transmission, you might have to just drill it out dead center, with the proper size drill for the tap, then tap it.. sometimes I drill a hole fairly close to the tap size, then cut very carefully with a reciprocating saw near the threads making 4 cuts, then, use a hammer and punch to knock those 4 sections toward the center, then they can be removed with needle nose pliers..

Last edited:
   / Rounded off drain plug #297  
Not yet, putting the tire on today.

Sooo, just to kill a little time here, how did you remedy the rusted rim (and keep your power adjust)?

Last edited: