Mixed DexCool with the green stuff !

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #11  
Do you have a preference to brand(s) of antifreeze that are better for aluminum blocks. I just was reading about using the Mercedes Benz brand of anti freeze in their engines can cause head gasket problems. The tech article recommended any of the green colored antifreezes.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #12  
I agree with Skip.
I also have been in the auto industry for many years and have heard many more GM horror stories than others due to the fact that GM fully embraces the OAT(Organic Acid Technology) antifreeze, please research this on a GM message board if you question if it is true. It WILL without a doubt gel after time. It takes heat and air in the cooling system to react, basicly it looks like orange Jello.

Cant do anything but fix it. Completely flush the system the way Skip suggested then I would use the newer Premiun Gold style coolant. Being a NH it is probably what is recomended. There will be no need to add the coolant conditioned with this coolant as it is already present. If you decide to go with the green stuff, then double check and see if NH recomends the conditioner, I believe they do. It helps reduce cavitation in the cooling system.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff !
Thanks to all that replied /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Looks like I'll be doing a drain and flush.

I think the hardest part will be finding a container that is shallow enough to fit under the tractor but large enough to hold all the coolant.

When I was a teenager, my dad taught me how to flush radiators. The whole process began when you parked your car in the street over the top of the sewer grate /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #15  
Just a little tip if you remove the thermostat for the flush. After the flush is complete and you're going to put the thermostat back in,take your fingers and open the thermostat by pressing the spring. Then slide an Aspirin under the lip to hold it open. This will help you fill the system and not have air pockets to deal with. Once you start the engine the Aspirin will dissolve and the thermostat will be back to normal. It works.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #16  
Will that aspirin eliminate the tractors headaches???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #17  
"Also it must be disposed of properly, because it can permanently damage ground water supplies."

I have some old coolant from my car that I'd like to dispose of. I'd like to drain and dispose of the coolant in my tractor. The landfill in my area does not take it. The local auto parts stores don't take it. So where can I dispose of it? I won't pour it on the ground.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have some old coolant from my car that I'd like to dispose of. I'd like to drain and dispose of the coolant in my tractor. The landfill in my area does not take it. The local auto parts stores don't take it. So where can I dispose of it? I won't pour it on the ground.

)</font>

THAT's the 10 million dollar question. I've been putting off changing the thermostat in my pickup for the same reason; I won't lose a lot of coolant, but will drain some off. I hate like the dickens to pay a garage to do such a simple job; but that's probably what'll happen.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #19  
The only alternative that I know of is to find a reputable repair shop that stores it's own used antifreeze for collection - in most shops I've worked in over the later years, we've stored used antifreeze in 55 gal. drums and the outfit that collected used oil would also take the antifreeze. The only difference was they charged a fee to take the antifreeze whereas they would take the oil for free. If you can find a shop to take it, expect to pay them something - they have to pay. Another remote possibility is finding a shop that has reclamation equipment - they filter & rejuvenate antifreeze for reuse. Not too many shops do this though.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

I personnaly don't believe that is true, but we hear it a lot. )</font>

Wouldn't want to drink a couple of quarts to prove that would you?