Mixed DexCool with the green stuff !

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #21  
The bottles of antifreeze that I have used give directions for disposal. The ideal solution is recycle or dispose of it at a facility meant for this. The second solution is the municipal sewer system. Just dump it down the toilet or a shop sink. Don't dump it into your septic system. Really, read the bottle.

Antifreeze kills the animal with a toxic alcohol. The animal appears drunk but will die with a good bit of suffering. It is immediately apparent to any animal control person or vet jsut how the animal was poisoned and in these parts they will look for you. I do not worry about the groundwater being poisoned, dilution is the solution to the pollution.

Now a small amount won't kill you. I've tasted both dexcool and green by accident. It is pretty sweet, but not something you would want a tall cold glass of.

Mixing the various kinds of antifreeze won't cause a reaction. This is a myth. They mix fine but any special benefits are lost. I wouldn't mix types if the same was available but I've seen it done. My truck get's flushed every two years using the flushing tee with a garden hose. I flush until the water is clear and then replace the dexcool for warranty reasons. Just follow the directions on the 3$ flushing kit. Seems every brand has their own antifreeze Toyota's red, Ford's yellow, GM's orange, etc. All a marketing gimick.

Next time, just top up with water.

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #22  
To add to Highbeam's thoughts. I saw on the Prestone container in the garage that it clearly states (even boasts!) that it mixes with any color antifreeze. Still makes me nervous, though. I guess the marketing has had some effect. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #23  
PEAK has a product labeled "Global" in a gold container that is supposed to be safe for use with any antifreeze type. Good to have on hand for emergency top-offs on any vehicle. However, it is not cheap. If it was me, and there were no warranty requirements to be concerned with, I would flush the system and then refill with the cheapest brand of green that I could find and use it according to the directions on the container. The expensive brand name product mfgs probably make it anyway and private label it for whoever wants to buy a large quantity. IMHO it is just a generic fluid that needs to be in any watercooled vehicle. It's been around for years. No big deal, really. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Mixed DexCool with the green stuff ! #24  
Yeh before I realised you were'nt supposed to mix them I topped off my GMC Safari plastic recovery tank..a few days later the green stuff was in the tank surrounded by the "pink" stuff.
It just dosen't mix,or if it does it later seperates.So I disconnected all the hoses, drained flushed reflushed,blew out with air, untill I was sure nothing was left.Then added new Dex-cool. I know it needed a good flushing anyway,"don't we all?" /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif