bobcat 440b wont stay running

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running #1  

isie

we are working on a 93 bobcat 440b skid loader, it wouldnt start so we replaced the fuel pump, fuel selinoid(sp) fuel line and filter. the loader will start and run for a little bit then loses power and dies will restart but dies shortley after, if you let it set then it will run for a few minutes and start the same thing over.thanks isie

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running #2  
Sounds like it's starving for fuel to me. I would pull the fuel line apart if you have replaced the fuel filter and see if you have a good flow from the disconnected fuel line directly from the tank. If not start back-tracking and find out what the restriction might be.

BTW: Welcome to the TBN site.

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running #3  
Some years ago I too had a Bobcat 440B "Farm Boy". I presume you have a Kohler opposed twin. Your fuel filter should be a plastic cartridge type acessable when you lift the cage by undoing the front bolts. Check the pickup on the plastic fuel tank and make sure it isn't kinked. That will starve the engine for fuel. Also, if you have the engine mounted fuel pump, make sure the spacer/insulating plate is between the pump and the engine block or it will vapor lock.

A little hint for the hydraulics. I don't have any idea what type of fluid is in the plastic tank, but when I got mine (used), I drained it and refilled it with Dexron-Mercon III ATF. The ATF has a seal conditioner in it and reacts to the heat produced really well as your mini-cat has no oil cooler.

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running
I replaced the fuel filter and the the solinoid, and the fuel line and pump, it gets good fuel when i take the line off and turn it over, but it only runs for a little bit 5-10 minutes then stalls out will restart but slowly dies , if i leave it set then it will run good again for 5-10 minutes and start the same thing all over again.
thanks

isie

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running #5  
I'm not familiar with a 440B. You replaced the pump, line, and filter. Kohler was mentioned so I'll guess it a gas instead of diesel unit. If its a gas unit there may be a plugged screen in the carb where the fuel line goes. Or the float setting could be messed up. If it sat for a while before you tried all your changes the carb float may be stuck restricting flow. sometimes a light tap with a hammer will free it up. If you have fuel to the carb then it must be a carb problem in my opinion.

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running
took carb apart and every thing in it is fine put new gaskets whenre assembled and still get the same thing. yes it is gas and a kohler, does any one know if that is an ignition module of some kind that connects to the shut off for the solinoid(sp) that is under the carb.

thanks

isie

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running #7  
Check the fuel tank cap to see if vent hole is open. I had bad coil do that to me also. Larry

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running #8  
I had the same problem. Actually, if you dropped fuel in the carb, it ran. I rebuilt the carb, put a new fuel pump on, replaced all fuel lines and filter, put a new fuel solenoid on and guess what - same problem. I assumed that the fuel in the tank was able to make it to the lines - turns out, that was the problem. The fuel line that connects the fitting at the top of the tank to the pick up at the bottom of the tank is a clear polyester tubing. Over time it becomes brittle and then starts to break down.

I drained the tank, washed it out really well, replaced the tubing and the pick up and checked for fuel to the carb. It takes a bit to draw the fuel and that is why there is a solenoid and the pick up has a one way valve. Once fuel is established at the carb, it runs great! In fact, it takes a simple bump by the starter and it purrs!

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running #9  
Hello, This is my first time writing in the forum. I have the same issue as above. I have a 440b Bobcat with an 18hp kohler gas engine. It will not run unless I pour gas directly into the carburetor. I have read the above replies and have replaced the fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned the tank, new suction hose in the tank. I had the carburetor apart and all looks clean and free. If I unhook the inlet to the carburetor and turn the key the gas is at the carburetor. I have taken the carburetor off twiceand both times there was fuel back inside of it. Do you think I need to adjust the carburetor? Or any other ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks

/ bobcat 440b wont stay running #10  
Did it run OK before..?? Or did you buy it this way..??

If you've got gas filling the bowl, sounds like it could be a speck of something in the main jet, or the discharge nozzle is plugged. There are small cross drilled holes in that brass discharge nozzle, you may not see clogged. It's easier to see them with it out, just becareful of the gasket under the hex piece you put a wrench/socket on to get it out.

I usually rob a bristle out of a wire brush to run through them to clean. Then follow with carb cleaner & air. Someone else mentioned in a similar thread, that they use a strand of wire from copper 12ga automotive wire, so as not to damage the brass nozzle. Tried it, and it works well too.