Generator repair/ re-exciting windings

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #41  
yep.. try te cheap easy stuff first in a case like this where troubleshooting has been intentionally crippled by the manufacturer.

good luck

post back

soudnguy

Yippee! I put the new brushes in and it works. Glad everybody here talked me into checking it out. I almost scrapped it.
Thanks for all the advice
I really appreciate it.
Mark

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #42  
not too bad a price for a working genny.

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #43  
The brushes didn't look that bad to me. The bottom one looks like it's shorter than the top one, but not that short. You didn't indicate if you bought the brushes or he has them available. You could put the old brushes back in and measure the resistance between them without the regulator. If you get a very low reading, like an ohm, then they are probably usable. What you would be reading is if they are making contact with the slip rings and the continuity of the excitation coil. I'm also inclined to think that $300+ for a new regulator isn't worth it unless it's a high quality unit with lots of kilowatts.

Exactly, $300.00+ would not be worth it. It is only a 4000 watt generator. But $20.00 for a set of brushes is well worth it for a generator. It works great now. I didn't test the old ones. I thought they looked bad and the electrical guy that looked at the brushes said they were shot so I went with his recommendation.
Thanks,
Mark

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #44  
make sure the slip rings are clean
brighten them with some crocus cloth or a green scrubby
and wipe them off with alcohol and a clean rag before putting the brushes back in .

tom

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #45  
or electric motor contact cleaner.. I love that stuff.

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #46  
Personally, I would schedule a professional generator inspection. There are several companies that can do this and may pick up on danger signs that you would not be able to find yourself.