Generator repair/ re-exciting windings

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #31  
ditto that. I've found many problems by just simply taking things apart and looking for obvious issues... like broke wires.. blown fuses, burnt parts of the PCB.. etc.

+1 on looking around for the obvious. :thumbsup:

This has worked for me a bunch of times. Another thing to look for-- a capacitor with a slightly bulged top is usually bad. This can be subtle; it hardly looks like there's anything wrong with it.

A magnifying glass can be very helpful when checking out the components of a PCB.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #32  
bulged.. or wet around it where it vented..

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #33  
bulged.. or wet around it where it vented..

soundguy

I started tearing it apart today and it looks like there are only brushes and what I believe is a regulator besides the fields and the armature. My guess is that it would have to be the regulator. What do you guys think? I also attached a picture of the parts.
Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• brush.JPG
    brush.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 270
   / Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #34  
no pic attached?

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #35  
Looks like the circuit board is potted - you can't test individual components.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #36  
sweet.... gotta love that.. that takes a bite out of self repair..

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #37  
sweet.... gotta love that.. that takes a bite out of self repair..

soundguy

The brushes are in terrible condition. The local auto electrical guy said he thinks the brushes could be the cause. Got new brushes in the holder now for $21.00. I will try it tomorrow. I hope so because the regulator costs from between $300.00-$380.00. Not willing to shell out that much cash without being certain.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #38  
yep.. try te cheap easy stuff first in a case like this where troubleshooting has been intentionally crippled by the manufacturer.

good luck

post back

soudnguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #39  
yep.. try te cheap easy stuff first in a case like this where troubleshooting has been intentionally crippled by the manufacturer.

good luck

post back

soudnguy

Actually potting the electronics protects them from vibration and moisture. Unfortunately, it also prevents any repair.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #40  
I know that some potting is needed in some places.. but I have surely seen some boards 100% potted so that you can't do anything on the component level.. I've also seen boards with scrubbed part numbers... also fun...

soudnguy