RDrancher's Photo Thread

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread
Finished up the storage place today.
Storage Zone8.jpgStorage Zone9.jpgStorage Zone10.jpg

And closed out the week by spreading a very thin layer of road base over an impound yard.
Storage Zone11.jpg

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #62  
Good looking work. I put my driveway in about 20 years ago and I rolled it in with a vibratory roller that made a huge difference in how well it has held up.

Thanks Randall! And yes, using a roller makes a world of difference when it comes to the gravel driveway longevity.

Here's another storage parking area I did yesterday. The tenant runs a fleet of mobile sign trucks. I had to move piles of banners as I worked and some framework too. Glad the frames were made out of aluminum.
Storage Zone12.jpgStorage Zone13.jpgStorage Zone14.jpg

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #64  
Again your gravel work is professional and very neat. You going to roll this in or is that an option that you leave up to the customer?

No compaction for these particular storage lots, although I always offer it to the customer as an option.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #66  
What is your opinion of using a sheepsfoot on a gravel driveway? I assume smooth vibrating plates would be best for gravel but I wonder if it would pack enough to get the sheepsfoot to run out of the material?

This is just hypothetical. I want to build a roller and am trying to figure out what I want to build. 80% of my work is in dirt.

A sheepsfoot is designed to lock layers (or lifts) of dirt and other materials together. It wouldn't work to well on gravel unless there were several lifts involved, but it would work great for the subgrade soil. Even if it were used for gravel lifts the surface would have to be bladed to achieve the final profile.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #68  
Thanks. I just dressed up a 300yd driveway and I rolled it with my srw ram with a cummins. It did fairly well but I think a real roller would work better

The vibratory feature of the compactor is really what helps to lock in granular gravel materials, but a Cummins is better than no compaction at all!

Edited to add: Make sure that you turn the vibrator off before you roll from the gravel to any concrete since it will easily break off the edge.

/ RDrancher's Photo Thread #70  
The vibratory feature of the compactor is really what helps to lock in granular gravel materials, but a Cummins is better than no compaction at all!

Edited to add: Make sure that you turn the vibrator off before you roll from the gravel to any concrete since it will easily break off the edge.
Thanks, you learn something new every day. I had never thought of this.