Swan in Prudhoe Bay

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay #12  
great pictures, nice to be able to work and take pictures in such a beautiful setting. always wanted to see alaska, retiring soon so i might get up there. got any pictures of grizzley bears? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay
I have literally hundreds of Grizzly & Polar bear pictures. It is hard to pick out the ones I like best. I'll post a couple.. Gary

Attachments

• 285108-Partners 3.jpg
    285108-Partners 3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 152
   / Swan in Prudhoe Bay
This is Katie headed for our office, about 50 feet away... She was not aggressive thank goodness...

Attachments

• 285110-Katie01.jpg
    285110-Katie01.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 152
   / Swan in Prudhoe Bay
I think they are Tundra Swans, a bit smaller than Trumpeter. Here is a pair from across the road from where we live. Taken this morning...

Attachments

• 285112-swans bunting.jpg
    285112-swans bunting.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 151
   / Swan in Prudhoe Bay #16  
You could be right. Notice the snow bunting on the upper right hand corner, near the swan's head. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Blake
WA

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay #17  
GREAT SHOTS OF THE BEARS! give Katie my best regards, but do it from a safe distance /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay
Good eyes, I did not see the bunting until I loaded the pictures into my computer. The snow buntings are not that easy to see this time of year. They blend into the background. Same with the Ptarmigan, they change out of their white feathers and are hard to spot on the tundra. Gary

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay
Still a lot of ice on the lakes. It is usually all gone by the 7th of July. I don't think it will make it this year. The caribou are starting to come in groups of 8 or more. Still pretty ragged with their winter coats.

Attachments

• 285667-Caribou lk Colleen 3.jpg
    285667-Caribou lk Colleen 3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 126
   / Swan in Prudhoe Bay #20  
Gary, when my brother and I drove up there from Anchorage on the July 4, 1991, weekend, he had told me I'd see more wildlife than I'd ever seen in my life (he had made the trip a number of times both driving an 18 wheeler and once hauling drill bits in a one-ton dually). However, we saw more wildlife between Anchorage and Fairbanks than we saw north of Fairbanks (except for the caribou). /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Some folks who should've known said it was because it had turned so warm. If I remember right, the high that day in Deadhorse was 38. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif