Swan in Prudhoe Bay

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay
Bird,
That is not uncommon at all. I remember several 4th of July BBQs up here when it would snow on us. One year was memorable because we talked a lot of the girls into a swimsuit contest. It was in the low 30s and sleet. They did not stand around in their bathing suits for long. We even had a band and a stage built down by the Sag River. Still had fun...

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay #22  
Gary, is the haul road open to the public now? They were supposed to open it the first of July, 1991, and some guy had gotten up a caravan of RVs to go up there, etc., but then there were some lawsuits filed to stop it from opening . . . well, you undoubtedly know a lot more about that than I. Anyway my brother got a permit and we drove up there (not as a part of that caravan, although that guy was also given a permit since people had already paid him to be the "wagonmaster" for the trip).

The last 125 miles or so of the road was such a bad rub board road that we drove most of it at about 15 mph both ways. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The rest of the road wasn't bad. We had left Anchorage around 3:30 a.m. and about 1:30 a.m. the next morning we stopped about 100 miles south of Deadhorse to get a little sleep. My brother got back in the drom box with his sleeping bag and I just got into my sleeping bag in the truck seat and slept about 2 hours. Then nature called and I got my shoes and coat on, jumped out of the truck into that wind and nearly froze. When I got back in the truck, I couldn't get warm even with the sleeping bag, so I started the engine to turn on the heater and don't believe I've ever seen a human move as fast as my brother getting from that drom box into the cab of the truck; said he'd been about to freeze back there. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay
You were one of the pioneer tourists. Now people come up by the droves. Princess tours have about three busloads a week from Fairbanks. The road is much better than "91". Not my idea of a fun drive. You would be amazed how many ride motorcycles and bicycles even. Lots of adventurers. These two rode their Valkyrie all the way from Brazil. (taken last week)

Attachments

• 285816-Brazilians.jpg
    285816-Brazilians.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 96
   / Swan in Prudhoe Bay #24  
Yep, Gary, I think lots of us tourists are nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Although it wasn't north of Fairbanks, I talked to a bicylist from California making the trip to Alaska the first time we drove up in 1972. He hoped to make the trip from California to Anchorage and Fairbanks and back that summer and then write a book about the trip. Don't know whether he made it or not. In 1986, a former co-worker of mine and his wife made the trip from Dallas on their Goldwing. He had his 65th birthday in Alaska and said they just had a great time. And on the way back south in 1991, still in the Yukon, we encountered a woman from Michigan riding a full dress Harley with her little 15 year old nephew on behind. They were headed south, too, but she had gotten down in her back and couldn't ride, so we left her Harley and gave them a ride about 50 miles to the nearest town with a doctor (I would have ridden her bike on to town instead of leaving it, except for the fact that my wife wouldn't drive the truck pulling the fifth-wheel). And the little nephew's face shield had been shattered by a rock and he said he wasn't getting on that motorcycle again; that he was going to call his parents and fly home. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay
Bird,
That is one of the advantages of working up here. You hear a lot of great stories and some not so great. So was "91" your last trip up here? I am sure you remember a lot of scenes like this one I took this morning. The caribou are all around us now...Gary

Attachments

• 286070-caribou grazing 3.jpg
    286070-caribou grazing 3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 82
   / Swan in Prudhoe Bay #26  
Yep, Gary, we drove up and back in July, 1972, with a '71 3/4 ton Chev. pickup pulling a 24' travel trailer, (my parents were pulling a 21' travel trailer with a Buick sedan) and aunt and uncle were driving a half ton pickup with a slide-in camper, then I flew up with my brother in the summer of '84 in a new Cessna 152 from the factory and came back on a commercial flight, we drove up again in '90 with an '89 one ton dually pulling a 32' fifth-wheel, my brother, his wife, son, and mother-in-law in a crew cab dually pulling a 35' fifth-wheel, my parents just in their pickup, and the aunt and uncle in a class C motorhome. All those trips were just up there and back in a month or month and a half, but then in '91, we drove up the last week of March in that one ton truck and fifth-wheel and I worked with my two brothers in their tire dealership/garage in Anchorage for 4 months before we came back south.

I'd love to make the trip again and know that many things change, especially the roads, in just a month or two so I can only imagine how much other things have changed in the last 12 years. I especially loved fishing out of Seward, out around Rugged Island, but also some of the inland lakes. And the golf course at Elmendorf AFB is one of my favorites.

Part of the time when they were building the pipeline, one brother worked for (Alaska-General-Stewart I believe was the name of the company) and the other was driving an 18-wheeler car hauler and delivered some 4WD pickups to the north slope. One brother lived in Anchorage about 20 years and the other about 25 years, and my parents lived there from '65 to '71, then still spent the summers up there the next 4 years.

/ Swan in Prudhoe Bay
This is about as close as I want to get to any wild game. I had to back up to get him all in. I was less than 20 feet from him. The wildlife up here is what keeps me coming back. That and the money for sure. My wife wants me to retire, as I am 60 and have worked in Alaska since 1970. Maybe next year. I get to spend half the year in San Diego and the other half in Alaska, so that is not too bad of a deal. I think you would find the whole trip easier now than 1992. Have a good week.. Gary

Attachments

• 286411-Caribou closeup 2.jpg
    286411-Caribou closeup 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 77