My Farm

/ My Farm #11  
JD, I don't know much about the Amish; just saw a lot of them in my travels and know they have a reputation for good work, but apparently they do make some exceptions where power tools are concerned. I read that the Amish dairy farmers had to make some exceptions for refrigeration of the milk or get out of the business. And I know of an RV manufacturer who has (in the past at least) advertised the fact that they employ a number of Amish workers to build their RVs. A lot of people think that means "quality" but I toured their factory and found they were using good power screwdrivers and, like some other plants, only stripped the threads on about 1 in 3 screws./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ My Farm #12  
Bird
yea i looked at the link someone eles put here bout them and i think it will still take a day or 2 before ya see them on TBN but i got to take my hat off to them for sticking to what they belive in there was a write up on the link bout barn rasing ,bare land in morring and new barn by sunset now thats team work
catch ya
JD Kid

/ My Farm
First, thanks everyone for the nice replies.

The Amish around here do use and own power tools. However the first time I hired them they made a list of the couple of power tools that they were going to need and I had to provide them. 8 years ago they were allowed to use them, but not own them. Since then they have changed so that they can own them, but they cannot use them on an Amish building. Kind of like the gas wells that we have drilled on their properties. They can have the wells, and receive the landowner's share of the royalties, but they can't use the free gas from the wells to heat or light there homes. However, in Holmes County, OH they are allowed to use the gas. From what I was told, the bishops from the state get together approximately twice a year and decide on what things will be allowed and not allowed. A guy from my office got the chance to speak before them on the issue of the natural gas usage, but it was ultimately rejected as an unneccesary convenience.

Neil, I have had the oppurtunity to meet a couple hundred different Amish families through work. Once you get to know them they will tell you who does good quality at a reasonable price. Then you wait until the evening or a Saturday and stop and talk to them. I have had the oppurtunity to witness an Amish barn raising twice. The one was the result of a barn fire. The barn burned late Monday night, Tuesday the materials were ordered and the burned barn was cleaned off the existing foundation, Wednesday the frame went up, Thursday it was sided and the roof was shingled. When it comes time for a barn raising, everybody from the congregation shows up. Nobody goes to work until the barn is completed. At both of the raisings that I witnessed there was a total of about 4-500 Amish present. About 150 men working plus spouses and children. It is absolutely amazing to watch.

Jimmy

/ My Farm
Here is a picture I found on the internet of a typical Amish barn raising.

Jimmy

Attachments

• 35-91323-AmishBarnRaising.jpg
    35-91323-AmishBarnRaising.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 94
   / My Farm #15  
JimmyO
Is that barn leanin' to the left?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
regards
Mutt

/ My Farm
I would guess that it is poor photography. That picture is just one I found real quick on the internet, I didn't actually see it. However, of all the Amish barns that I have seen, none have leaned.

Jimmy

/ My Farm #17  
HR_MUTT,

Here it is all straightened up. Gosh, if fixing things in real life was were only so easy. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

42-65797-signature.jpg

Attachments

• 35-91354-35-91323-AmishBarnRaising.jpg
    35-91354-35-91323-AmishBarnRaising.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 83
   / My Farm #19  
Beatiful place, excellent picture also.

Enjoy God's blessing.

Raptor

/ My Farm #20  
I am originally from Holmes County Ohio, my folks still live there, outside Millersburg (Miller is a VERY common Amish name).

The Amish are indeed a strange breed of cat. The community around Holmes county has a broad range of Amish sects, from the black amish (old order, not african-american) to the mennonite. And no, strictly speaking the mennonite are not an off shoot of the amish, it is precisely the other way around. The mennote were getting to lax for the amish, so they split off.

No one in the black amish family is permitted to have power anything. The next lax sect permits the BOYS to drive autos until they join the church, which is when they get married (also is when they grow a beard). Often the youngest boy never marries, as much to stay at home as to provide transportation. The woman rarely ever drive the horse, to say nothing about a car. At the other end of the amish sect from the black amish sometimes seems that the only semblance to the ways is in their clothes, all pastel colors for the women, men wear blue denim (NOT blue jeans) and pastel shirts, simple clothes, and just a bonnet, not a full hair covering 'hood'.

My Dad drives through the heart of the amish community to and from work near Kidron (yes that is where Steiner Turf is). He regularly sees an amishman on the phone in his shead leaning against the chest freezer. Neither the phone nor the freezer is in his house, so it is legal. Now adays the cell phones are very popular with them, since they can leave them in the buggy, or hide them real easy in the house.

Some sects are permitted to have tractors, some not. Those that can have tractors may not be permitted to have pneumatic tires. Do you know how strange a Kubota looks with rubber tractor tire tread BOLTED to a drum on a steel wheel?

The popular misconception that is perpetuated for the tourists is that they are a harmonious peaceful churchgoing group of people. And they are to some degree. But they can also be a bunch of drunks that are becoming more and more in-bred. They drink a LOT of wine. As to the in-bred, it is getting harder and harder to find pure blood, as obviously their numbers continue to dwindle.

My Dad served on a Jury panel some years ago. One of the cases was a young amish man that burned a barn down. Quoting the trial:
Would you say Eli was intoxicated?
Do that mean drunk?
Yes, that means drunk.
Yeah, he was drunk. He's a real tiger when he gets a skinful.

And yes it was an amish barn, and yes he helped in the barn raising the next few days.

Our house was remodeled by an amish crew in the late '70's. The cost was VERY reasonable and the workmanship was incredible. They did use electric power tools on the job site. Dad had the same crew build a garage about 5 yrs ago. They had slipped a LOT in quality, reliability and trust.

As you may have guessed I get a bit of a kick out of the way they are protrayed in the media and as a tourist draw. Not knocking them, Holmes County has nothing else going for it, 'cept for the Amish. Far and away the largest business is tourism and the Amish is what brings the tourists. And trust me, they know it!

I don't mean to put them down. I respect ANY group that talks the talk and walks the walk. Many of them do, many don't. And they don't want to give up the image because it is one of the few places where they can earn a living. Loose that image and the Amish mystic is gone with them.

Sorry this was long, everyone is always curious about them, and it happens to be something I just grew up with.

Nick

Farmer kid usetabe, Farmer Wannabe