My Farm

/ My Farm #1  

JimmyO

Tractor
JD 4100 4wd and JD 5300
Well this is kind of an experiment, me trying to learn how to post a picture. If it turns out alright you will see about 10 of the 85 acres I have. The garage along the driveway is 25'x38'. I just remodeled it this past winter and it has a one bedroom guest house on the second floor. From the outside you wouldn't think that there was much there, until you get in and realise that is is actually a lot bigger than it looks. The barn is 40'x60' by 32' to the peak in the upper level. There is also a lower level with 8' ceiling. The barn was built sometime in the early 1900's. It has chestnut and oak siding and a slate roof. People are constantly amazed at how wonderful of condition it is in. The house is kind of hard to see but it is the white between the pine trees. In January the Amish will be siding and roofing it to match the garage. The pond in the front is just under a 1/4 acre. The one in the back is 2 acres. I rent the tillable acreage out to a local farmer as I don't have the equipment or the desire to farm it myself. You can see a wagon loaded with straw ready to be hauled away along the second driveway(this leads to a gas well that is on the property)

My wife and I have considered building a new house and have gone as far as looking for new property. However we have not found anything that has anything close to the setting we have now. We hired an architect to design an addition, however after $1500 in fees we came to the realization that it would never be exactly what we wanted. So for now we are going to make the outside look more presentable along with some minor changes on the inside. Plus the fact that we have 2 gas wells on the property and get free natural gas is a benefit also. We don't want to build a new house on the existing property as it sits on a dirt road that is very dusty and there is no way to keep the vehicles clean during the winter and spring. So for now this is home until we find somewhere that we would rather be. Thanks for taking the time to view our home.

Jimmy

Attachments

• 35-91172-Farm.jpg
    35-91172-Farm.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 207
   / My Farm #2  
Jimmy,

Nice picture!! Yep, that looks like NW PA.

Can't remember but I think I may have mentioned to you previously that my grandfather had a farm just north of Sandy Lake. I have a couple of uncles still in the area.

Good luck to you.

Terry

/ My Farm #3  
Looks great to me. I'd put up with the dirt to have a nice looking place like that one.

How'd you get the aerial photo?

And amish - What's the GO there ?

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ My Farm #4  
Neil,

Amish are anabaptists who live in a close knit farm-based community. They only use modern conviences when absolutely necessary. They are plain clothed usually wearing no bright colors. Most still speak German (Dutch as they say) and consider anyone who is not Amish - English. They travel in horse drawn wagons and use horses to till their land.

Here is a link to learn more - Amish in Pennsylvania

Terry

/ My Farm
Terry,
Yes you did mention that you have relatives in the area in a previous post. Don't remember which one though. Actually Dutch and German aren't one in the same. They have similarities but still differ quite a bit. Dutch is their day to day language, German is used during church services.

Neil,
The Amish in my area are Old Order Amish. They don't drive cars(they use horse drawn buggies), don't have electricity or modern plumbing, and all farming is done by horse power(literally). Most are either farmers or involved in construction. The construction crew that I have used several times for various projects are probably the hardest working group of men I have ever seen. They work very cheap and do great quality work. The arial photo was taken by a work associate of my wife. He has his own 2-seater plane and he is an amateur photographer. I am hoping we can convince him to do it again once the house has been re-sided. I would really like an arial photo from the opposite side.

Jimmy

/ My Farm #6  
Yes guys I have heard of Amish thorugh the X-Files (Where I learned all about the US before I joined TBN !! /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif)

What I didn't kow is that they did house sidings !

How do you find them - Like the Yellow Pages or do you have to know one to get some work done?

Cheers

<font color=blue>Neil from OZ.</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ My Farm #7  
Jimmy,
Thats just plan beautiful and what I would call home.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ My Farm #8  
Jeez...I thought the barn was your house until I read through your message!

Nice place.

/ My Farm #9  
Beautiful shot and beautiful place! You have a lot to be proud of and I don't think I'd be looking to move. It just doesn't seem possible that you'd find a nicer place.

35-83637-JimIBoomer.jpg

JimI

/ My Farm #10  
Hi ya

How do you find them - Like the Yellow Pages or do you have to know one to get some work done?

I think beening in horse drawen carts with beards might tip ya off there njrqs
be a funny building site tho no power tools or radio and i be safe to go out on a limb here no workmans ass crack or wolf whisles
catch ya
JD Kid
oh hang on some are not that far in the past i have seen a pic and i'll try and track it down of a amish farmer no-till seeding with a new drill behind horses