Ponytug - Group embarrassment time

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #31  
Containment is expected today, 47,000 acres in a week, but probably several weeks from being out because the terrain is so rugged. There are close to 1800 firefighters on it, and they are making good use of a DC10 tanker that can dump 50 tons of retardant a mile long and 300 feet wide.

It snowed ash here on Saturday out of a blue sky. Not a comforting thing to watch.

All the best,

Peter

Rip said:
Peter,

Sure hope they get a quick handle on that fire and that winds are calm. I've found that wind is the single biggest factor in rate of spread and how quickly it can be brought under control.

Update on our four-legged visitor, it was more probably an adolecent, as that is what came back to the same door this afternoon. Will have to see how determined it becomes to come back for seconds.

We've been lucky this year in terms of wildfires along the front range of Colorado. Best of luck with your situation ! !

Rip

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #32  
I spoke with Terry today, who hasn't yet disassembled the motor, but confirms that it looks like the seal blew out of the motor. Apparently a first.

All the best,

Peter

ponytug said:
Just a quick follow up. It seems that I blew a seal on the motor. It is leaking through the side of the casing, about 2.5" outboard from the hydraulic hose connections.

I noticed a weep on one of the front motors; that is, there is enough oil coming out for dust to accumulate and look wet. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Peter

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #33  
We've been getting the smoke and ashes from the Moonlight fire. Been setting off some neighbors' smoke alarms it's so bad. 65,000 acres and 15% contained as of this morning. And it's over 60 miles away from us!

Phil

ponytug said:
Containment is expected today, 47,000 acres in a week, but probably several weeks from being out because the terrain is so rugged. There are close to 1800 firefighters on it, and they are making good use of a DC10 tanker that can dump 50 tons of retardant a mile long and 300 feet wide.

It snowed ash here on Saturday out of a blue sky. Not a comforting thing to watch.

All the best,

Peter

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #34  
Hi Peter,

No, I do not still have the car. This went on for about 6-7 years.

Ken