Ponytug - Group embarrassment time

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time
That is ONE HUGE tractor. I did not realize it size until you get a human in the pictures.

Glad you posted pictures, but two is not enough. Funny story on the freight issue. Trucking is such a mystery...

Your setup looks like mine in terms of engine and wiring. I am thinking of adding a second exhaust to my tractor to quiet it down.

But, thanks for the pictures. can't wait to see more.

Oh, you may want to do the mod that Alta or I did. Get your air exhaust plate up higher. It really helps.... And maybe make your side door easier to access. Only way to keep these larger engines cooler is constant maintenance of compressed air...

Carl

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #12  
Thats nice with those wheels and tires on it.

Keep an eye on your temp, as you use it.

My 1850 overheats.....a lot. :(

But it still gets the job done.

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #13  
So far, in light work, no problem, but I know that once I get out on the hillsides mowing, it is likely to be an issue.

Have you plumbed in your remote oil cooler?

Have you added ground straps from the engine cover and frame back to the engine block? It might help your fans run a little better.

All the best,

Peter

AltavistaLawn said:
Thats nice with those wheels and tires on it.

Keep an eye on your temp, as you use it.

My 1850 overheats.....a lot. :(

But it still gets the job done.

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #14  
Just to be fair, she's well under 6', but if you think that the tractor looks huge, you should see the brush cutter. It looks ready to mow the state of Rhode Island.

My first add on purchase was an air compressor, the second was another couple of grease guns.

If I fool around with the exhaust, I think I'll try to route it out the back, and move the air filter up front. I am not sure if the 1845/50 have enough room, but on mine, it looks like it could be done. This would route noise out the back, and get the air intake closer to right side up.

Carl, you and Altavista may want to go to the Deutz air shroud, which routes the post oil cooler air over the air intake and muffler, and continue it on over the engine to help blow exhaust heat out. That would give you a 'cool' engine side to help with the hydraulic cooler, especially if you had a secondary fan push cool air into the engine compartment.

The Deutz shroud is shown in the manual with a slip on weather strip to help seal it. It might be a good start to help with the air leakage around the hinge. I guess it has to be a reasonably heat resistant rubber.

I'll try to get more photos in a day or two.

All the best,

Peter

woodlandfarms said:
That is ONE HUGE tractor. I did not realize it size until you get a human in the pictures.

Glad you posted pictures, but two is not enough. Funny story on the freight issue. Trucking is such a mystery...

Your setup looks like mine in terms of engine and wiring. I am thinking of adding a second exhaust to my tractor to quiet it down.

But, thanks for the pictures. can't wait to see more.

Oh, you may want to do the mod that Alta or I did. Get your air exhaust plate up higher. It really helps.... And maybe make your side door easier to access. Only way to keep these larger engines cooler is constant maintenance of compressed air...

Carl

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #15  
Wow, Peter. That's a MONSTER!! (when someone is used to a little 422 anyway)

I'm guessing most here have delivery stories but your's has to be the most hairraising.

My PT came early too. When I got there, the folks at our ACE hardware had already loaded everything from the semi into the back of their stake truck, deciding to skip the loading dock altogether. Then the foreman insisted on driving it to my house (about 10 miles) where I have a loading dock.... that I built back when I drove cross-country (so I'm glad you didn't bad mouth that trucker). I didn't have beer but gave him a pretty substantial tip.

Not having a dealer network is just one of the more challenging aspects to owning a PT!!

Phil

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #16  
Dear Phils,

I'd never do that. The trucker did a great job! He had pads on the tractor wherever his straps crossed it, lots of edge protectors and was a complete gentleman about letting the freight yard guys work through the issues. He piped up once or twice with bits of advice from PT on how to drive it/ move it. When the time came to strap down the PT on my trailer, he and one of the forklift operators talked me through the optimal way to chain it down and then tightened the chains until they were happy with them, probably saving me a CHP citation.

That's way beyond the call of duty.

Of course, I did get his load off about 18 hours early, giving him an easier pick up in Reno the next day, but still.

I'm only sorry I didn't have a case of beer to give him!

All the best,

Peter
P.S. By the way the paint is Sherwin Williams Flat black, F77B2 5301-01773, and for the red folks, the red is Red LF Machine Red F77414 5010-D4634.
Phils said:
Wow, Peter. That's a MONSTER!! (when someone is used to a little 422 anyway)

I'm guessing most here have delivery stories but your's has to be the most hairraising.

My PT came early too. When I got there, the folks at our ACE hardware had already loaded everything from the semi into the back of their stake truck, deciding to skip the loading dock altogether. Then the foreman insisted on driving it to my house (about 10 miles) where I have a loading dock.... that I built back when I drove cross-country (so I'm glad you didn't bad mouth that trucker). I didn't have beer but gave him a pretty substantial tip.

Not having a dealer network is just one of the more challenging aspects to owning a PT!!

Phil

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #17  
With the laws concerning transportation of alcohol across state lines, and the fact that he had a p/u in Reno already scheduled, you might have done him a favor by not giving him the beer. Since most states don't allow driving until the alcohol has been out of your system for 24 hours with CDL(not since you drank it), he would have been late or running a chance of getting in serious trouble. I am sure just allowing him to get it off early beat having to sit around and wait another day.
I was an commercial truck driver until the May, and after 27 years I had my first preventable accident. It not only cost me my job, but may have cost me my career in the trucking business. Jury is still out on that one.
David from jax

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #18  
Good idea on the ground strap. Mine will be getting that next.

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #19  
At work, I once spent the better part of a year chasing a gremlin that ended up being related to poor EMF shielding and a bad ground design. Once, I figured out it was grounding, the solution was a snap.

It's really cheap insurance against electrical gremlins. Make sure you put one from the battery grounding point on the engine to the back frame, and another from the battery grounding point to the front frame. You want to have one point where all of the grounds come back together.

It is a little off topic, but I added a couple of ground straps to my old pickup and my battery charging problems went away, as did dim lights on the dashboard. A set of relays for the headlights, and presto! Headlights that actually lit up the road.

All the best,

Peter

AltavistaLawn said:
Good idea on the ground strap. Mine will be getting that next.

/ Ponytug - Group embarrassment time #20  
ponytug said:
It is a little off topic, but I added a couple of ground straps to my old pickup and my battery charging problems went away, as did dim lights on the dashboard. A set of relays for the headlights, and presto! Headlights that actually lit up the road.
Peter

I ran ground wires around the 1845 at least in part because of experience with Corvairs. The symptom: breaking clutch cables. The cause: bad ground strap, so the clutch cable was the negative wire to the starter -- got hot.
That was reinforced by experience with trailers. Those I've wired now have negative wires to every light, and my truck has a #10 from the negative battery pole to the trailer plug (which is also grounded to truck frame.) And that is because of the trailer I rewired when it didn't need it because of bad grounds on three tow vehicles.
If you have a strange electrical problem, I'll always bet a six pack it's a bad ground. :cool: