Tree remover

/ Tree remover #31  
BobRip said:
Almost all of the force will go to the foot on the tree puller, not the PT.

Sigh. It is not the PT that I'm expecting to tip over. Assuming that the PT mini-hoe arm is truly a thin walled box beam, it is not designed for significant transverse loads along the beam. Say, as some have suggested, that you will be able to apply a load of 8000 pounds of lift to a tree. Then you must also apply an 8000 pound load at that point on the beam, even though the pt itself will not tip over, since it only feels an 800 pound load. If the arm is not capable of supporting this load, then it will likely fail. The failure, when it occurs, will be rather unpredictable - buckling is often so.

It is your equiptment of course.

John

/ Tree remover #32  
Are you guys really talking about try to pull a tree out of the ground with a PT-425? A tree that weighs more than the tractor? :eek:

Will a mod please move this to the Safety Forum, so that we can all enjoy the fireworks. :p

/ Tree remover
sawdust_maker said:
Sigh. It is not the PT that I'm expecting to tip over. Assuming that the PT mini-hoe arm is truly a thin walled box beam, it is not designed for significant transverse loads along the beam. Say, as some have suggested, that you will be able to apply a load of 8000 pounds of lift to a tree. Then you must also apply an 8000 pound load at that point on the beam, even though the pt itself will not tip over, since it only feels an 800 pound load. If the arm is not capable of supporting this load, then it will likely fail. The failure, when it occurs, will be rather unpredictable - buckling is often so.

It is your equiptment of course.

John

I am not saying the mini-how can handle the load of lifting a tree in the situation we are discussing, however, some of the mini-hoes use thicker tubing. I am saying that if you use an [appropriate ] lever and the right ratio, you can do much more work than the 800 lbs of the 425. You haven't said whether you agreed with the lever principle.

What ever one does, you must have the proper tools, the know how, and the ability to do it safely.

/ Tree remover
SnowRidge said:
Are you guys really talking about try to pull a tree out of the ground with a PT-425? A tree that weighs more than the tractor? :eek:

Will a mod please move this to the Safety Forum, so that we can all enjoy the fireworks. :p

Exactly Are you such an unbeliever that you don't understand the principle of levers. Have you read all my post?

/ Tree remover #35  
J_J said:
Exactly Are you such an unbeliever that you don't understand the principle of levers. Have you read all my post?

I understand them very well, JJ, and yes, I have read them.

/ Tree remover #36  
I'm pretty sure you could pry up an 8000 pound load with a PT425 IF, and only IF, the lever you are using is sufficiently strong enough to support 8000 pound loads. With proper leverage anyone can move anything. As mentioned earlier, I have used pry bars to move rail cars by myself. I had a job in the mid 80's driving and loading millitary vehicles from A.M. General's plant in South Bend, In to rail spurs around the area. We had to install the plates between the rail cars to drive from car to car and sometimes the cars were too far apart for the plates, so we had this big pry bar thing and one person could move a huge, double height rail car by themselves.

The real questions are:

1. How long of a lever would you need to move/pry that 8000 pound load out of the ground with only a 5' (or less) lift? You may only get a few inches of movement 10' out from the PT lift arms.
2. How strong would that lever have to be?
3. How heavy will that lever be?
4. etc....

/ Tree remover #37  
MossRoad said:
The real questions are:

1. How long of a lever would you need to move/pry that 8000 pound load out of the ground with only a 5' (or less) lift? You may only get a few inches of movement 10' out from the PT lift arms.
2. How strong would that lever have to be?
3. How heavy will that lever be?
4. etc....
5. Yikes, I got it! Now what? :eek:

...which was my point.

/ Tree remover
SnowRidge said:
5. Yikes, I got it! Now what? :eek:

...which was my point.

I do not understand your point at all, so what is your point. Can it be done, and not to use thin wall tubing doing it?

/ Tree remover #40  
J_J said:
I am not saying the mini-how can handle the load of lifting a tree in the situation we are discussing, however, some of the mini-hoes use thicker tubing. I am saying that if you use an [appropriate ] lever and the right ratio, you can do much more work than the 800 lbs of the 425. You haven't said whether you agreed with the lever principle.

What ever one does, you must have the proper tools, the know how, and the ability to do it safely.

I agree with all that you say here.

John