Tree remover

/ Tree remover #61  
RegL said:
Why not tie off 20' up the tree and use it's trunk as the lever as long as it is strong enough.
You know I have done that, but never compared that to the tree remover that we have been discussing. Even with a 20 foot lever (the tree), I cannot pull the tree over without cutting many roots. I used a high lift jack to pull the tree and a comealong. I probably had several thousand pounds on the tree.

With the tree puller, I can apply lift to the tree. I was told by a lumber jack friend that trees are a lot easier to pull up versus sideways. If you think about it, in nature there is very little lifting force on a tree, but most trees see a lot of side forces from wind and are adapted to it. Life is very efficient and does not waste effort on things it does not need.

/ Tree remover #62  
BobRip said:
You know I have done that, but never compared that to the tree remover that we have been discussing. Even with a 20 foot lever (the tree), I cannot pull the tree over without cutting many roots. I used a high lift jack to pull the tree and a comealong. I probably had several thousand pounds on the tree.

With the tree puller, I can apply lift to the tree. I was told by a lumber jack friend that trees are a lot easier to pull up versus sideways. If you think about it, in nature there is very little lifting force on a tree, but most trees see a lot of side forces from wind and are adapted to it. Life is very efficient and does not waste effort on things it does not need.

Bob, I know what your saying about trees adapting to their environment, but it's been my experience that on small trees that I can't lift out with the loader, I can easily raise the bucket a ways and push them over.
How about a stouter version of one of these. You would get both lift and pull.

Ideal Alternative to a Tree Spade

/ Tree remover #63  
Very interesting. I have to think about this.