Foot Treadle

/ Foot Treadle #1  

TractorGolf

Tractor
PT 425, 154 Cub LowBoy
So far the PT 425 has been flawless.
Now there is an occasional problem with the foot treadle. The machine suddenly stops moving for no specific reason. Everything works fine except the machine won't move backward or forwards. I shut the PT down and then restart, then I'm good to go with no further problem.
Here is the question. Can the valve that controls the forward/reverse movement be failing? And, what and how is the best way to identify if there is a problem?
The last thing I need to happen is to have the machine stop dead in the middle of the driveway.
All help appreciated!

/ Foot Treadle #2  
Is the tram pump operated by a cable or hyd circuit?

/ Foot Treadle
Treadle is operated by the hydraulic circuit. I'm trying to figure out if there is a valve going bad or if the pump is failing.
I've attached the wheel motor circuit.
Hopefully you can make heads or tails from the circuit drawing.

Attachments

• Wheel Motor Circuit.jpg
    Wheel Motor Circuit.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 792
   / Foot Treadle #4  
There is nothing about the tram circuit on the schematic.

/ Foot Treadle #5  
Someone had a tram problem quiet a while back and it turned out that there is a pin that the treadle rocks on and it had backed out and caused it to have tramming problems. Don't know if that might help but it is something to check out.

/ Foot Treadle #6  
There is nothing about the tram circuit on the schematic.
I agree. That looks like the tram pump, the wheel motors, the hydraulic tank and the filter. But there is nothing showing the treadle valve and hoses.

Anyhow, as someone else suggested, make sure the treadle pedal is actually operating the treadle valve first. That seems like the logical place to start.

/ Foot Treadle
Thanks for the input guys.
I couldn't identify the foot treadle either. I'll check the pin first and then may have to give Power Trac a call for any hints to the problem.
I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks

/ Foot Treadle #8  
It's been a few years since I fixed my treadle. But I think it was the pin that had backed out and was lost. Called Power Trac and they had to rob one off the parts pile for me.
Recalling back, it was held in by a set screw (Allen). Also on mine there were two of them, one set on-top of the other. Very tight to work on, I had to make a tool from a Allen wrench so I could get in there.

Also- I might have taken the whole treadle loose, so I could get to the back side. All of this is off the top of my head, my PT is not near me so I could not go and look at it.

Selkirk

/ Foot Treadle
Just to let you know what I found in the foot treadle. The pedal assembly was working loose from the mounting block, thus not making the valve to actuate properly. Haven't had a chance to test the PT, but I think that tightening the screws to the mounting block will do the trick.

/ Foot Treadle #10  
I had the treadle pin problem back in '05, and back then I posted what I found and the remedy, along with some pix as part of our ever-developing "master manual" for our machines. The post is still in TBN archive and so are the pix! They are here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/66042-treadle-pedal-troubles.html

Basically, there is a pair of vertically stacked Allen screws (2.5mm) The top one acts as a "jam screw" once you tighten the deeper one against the brass pin to secure it. After tightening the top Allen screw, I applied some GREEN Loctite into the little well around the screw head (post-assembly Loctite formula) and it got sucked down into the threads, just as nice as you please. I haven't had a lick of trouble since. Hope this helps.