PT Stump Grinder

/ PT Stump Grinder #1  

duane

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 266H and PT422
Does anyone know the hydraulic motor displacement (cubic inches per revolution) or grinder blade RPM for the stump grinder for the 400 series?

Looks like PT offers a stump grinder with non-sharpening, non-relaceable teeth, and then a blade with replaceable teeth. The blade alone with replaceable teeth looks to cost as much as the stump grinder itself. Can anyone confirm this.

thanks Duane

/ PT Stump Grinder #2  
The small stump grinders you have to replace the wheel but the bigger stump grinders have replacable teeth.

/ PT Stump Grinder #3  
have the pt stump grinder ... it is ok for smaller jobs ... in my ranking of usefulness, it is second from the bottom. sorry that i don't know the rest of the questions/answers because it does not grind all the stumps i have to remove ... so when the first blade will not grind anymore, i get a new one. had it for three seasons so far.

/ PT Stump Grinder #4  
<font color="blue"> in my ranking of usefulness, it is second from the bottom.</font>

Well now this sounds like you have an ordered list. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Understanding that everyone will have a different order based on their particular usage, I would be very interested in seeing your ( and others ) top 10 PT list of useful implements based on your experiences.

Thanks
Jack

/ PT Stump Grinder #5  
<font color="blue">I would be very interested in seeing your ( and others ) top 10 PT list of useful implements based on your experiences. </font>

So let's start another thread on the top 10 most useful implements form Power Trac. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I couldn't resist, so I started one here.

/ PT Stump Grinder #6  
Great idea, I have my preference list ready.
PJ

/ PT Stump Grinder #7  
HI,

WHEN YOU ARE USING THE STUMP GRINDER, DO YOU START ON THE FAR SIDE OF THE STUMP AND SLOWLY BACK UP AND TURN THE STEERING BACK AND FORTH? IF THE CARBIDE TEETH WEAR DOWN, A DIAMOND GRINDING BLADE WILL RESHARPEN THEM UNTILL THEY BECOME NON USABLE .

I HAVE ALSO USED THE STUMP GRINDER AS A TRENCHER,
WORKS GREAT. I BELIEVE THAT IT WILL CUT PAVEMENT

/ PT Stump Grinder #8  
when grinding, to relief the strain of the seidewinding action, first cut longitudinal cuts about a half inch deep 1-2" apart, than start your grinding, and keep repeating this until you get to the level you would like to achieve.

good luck

/ PT Stump Grinder #9  
To answer your question about the PT stump grinder motor; it's a Danfoss, type DH50, p/n 151-2121, 3 ci. I know all this because I've spent all afternoon chasing down a new motor. Mine siezed up yesterday. I called PT and talked to Terry who told me they had switched to a White motor (why?). Mine lasted approx. 6 hours before it cratered. He was pleasant and told me how to remove the motor and to call Don and order the part. Called back today and asked for Don in parts and was told Don was no longer with the company!! He had been replaced by Kevin (I think). In talking to him it was obvious he was new to the job. Bottom line new p/n is P153X3. (price $276.24) I asked about a heavier duty motor and after talking with Terry, Kevin left me a message saying the p/n was P152X3 priced at $320.13! I have since found the Danfoss motor for $119 new at Baileynet.com

You know I still feel this PT-425 is a good piece of machinery but my patience is getting streached. Earlier this year this unit broke the heim joint that holds the front and back together, i.e. the frame of the tractor broke in half. Power Trac has a good idea but I'm wondering about the company and their quality control issues brought out on this forum. They don't seem to understand when I ask for any written technical documentation on the implements. Not being able to leave my business and travel from Texas to Va. for the maint training is no excuse. Someday, some fool is going to really hurt himself with one of these and sue PT out of existance. These days EVERYONE puts out some type of instructions, starting with "Ya'll be careful now" and "we ain't responsible" yada yada. I hope this doesn't end up biting them someday.

/ PT Stump Grinder
Rick,

Thank you for the information. Will Baileynet let you order from them, seems they only sell to a business. Do you order the motor as part of your business?

Do you like the stump grinder. How does the blade attach to the hydraulic motor shaft. They must use the 1/4"-20 TPI tapped end of the shaft to secure the blade?

thanks again
Duane