PT Stump Grinder

/ PT Stump Grinder #21  
WHAT SIZE STUMP GRINDER DO YOU HAVE? I MAY NEED A NEW MOTOR FOR MINE. I HAVE A PT-1445 USING A CUTTING WHEEL OF 18 IN . GOOD PRICE ON THE MOTOR.

J.J.

/ PT Stump Grinder #22  
JJ, look at the end of your stump grinder motor. The brand name and part number will be on a sticker there. As I said before, baileynet.com has a great selection of everything hydraulic. Their print catalog is much easier to track through if you are just shopping for "something that'll work" since it lists all the specs right there in the charts. If you are looking for something specific, the website is pretty straight foward.

/ PT Stump Grinder #23  
Rick

I also had the misfortune of seizing the hydraulic motor on my stump grinder after only using for about 5 or 6 hours or so too! I talked to Terry and he had me send him the motor back for them to check out. After a few weeks going by I called him back and asked what the diagnosis was with the motor and he said it was seized and couldn't be repaired. I asked if they would send me a replacement since it was only a few hours old. They sent me a new White motor which I haven't installed yet. The White motor has a little bit bigger housing and seems a little bit beefier then the Danfoss motor. It looks like the White may have bigger, beefier bearings (I hope). Since I didn't get to see the inside of the failed Danfoss motor I'm guessing, but my theory is that the direct cutter wheel to motor shaft design may be the cause of the problem. I have noted just about every other stump grinder I have seen has the cutter wheel on it own shaft with its own bearings and isolated from the motor/drive by a chain. With the direct connection, there are undoubtedly some pretty substantial forces transmitted from the wheel to the hydraulic motor bearings which they simply cannot hack (at least the ones in the Danfoss motor). I'm hoping that this is the reason that PT switched to the White motor.

John