Spraying 2-4D

/ Spraying 2-4D #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I am spraying some lawn and old pasture getting ready to seed/overseed with grass. The 2-4D I purchased has suggestions on the amount of product to spray but does not have a suggested dilution. Any advice?

/ Spraying 2-4D #2  
Eric_Phillips said:
I am spraying some lawn and old pasture getting ready to seed/overseed with grass. The 2-4D I purchased has suggestions on the amount of product to spray but does not have a suggested dilution. Any advice?

I mix at 1 1/2 or 2 ounces per gallon. BUT I have round up with it... I am sraying to kill all......

/ Spraying 2-4D #3  
You need to know how much liqiud your nozzle or nozzles on your spayer puts out. Once you know that and your travel speed then you use the label dilution for the amount of spray. There are several thread here on TBN discussing the details. Be very careful of when and how you spray. Overspray and wind drift can cause problems. In south western OK this year several thousand acres of cotton was damaged by wind drift. The push is now on to make it a restricted use herbicide in OK like it already is in some other states.

/ Spraying 2-4D #4  
My Extension Agent suggested always spray in the late afternoons to increase the kill of target species and lessen the kill of non-target species.

I am unsure of my dilution ratio.

/ Spraying 2-4D
Chuck, the problem is the label doesn't give me a dilution. I can adjust the tractor speed to give very different application rates of the dilution. I know I need to adjust the application rate of the dilution to give me the amount of actual product suggested. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of and optimal dilution then I could adjust tractor speed accordingly. If the wind doesn't die down later this afternoon I am not sure when I will be able to spray. The rest of the week is supposed to be rainy.

Are the guys doing aerial spraying the ones killing off the cotton crops or is there really that much drift when spraying from a 10ft boom behind a tractor?

/ Spraying 2-4D #6  
Eric, you might want to check the label about how the 2,4-D will affect the germination of your grass seed. I know grass is not broadleaf but I think there is a warning about that.

/ Spraying 2-4D #7  
oliver28472 said:
Eric, you might want to check the label about how the 2,4-D will affect the germination of your grass seed. I know grass is not broadleaf but I think there is a warning about that.
Doesn't the active chemical in 2,4-D, Round-Up, etc. become nuetral or inactive within a few days of being applied? So it should effect grass seed planted more than a week or longer afterwards.

/ Spraying 2-4D #8  
The booklet that came with the bottle will have a section with rates for spot spraying. It will vary depending on the plant, but usually either 1 or 2 oz per gallon.

/ Spraying 2-4D #9  
True for Roundup but I don't think 2,4-D.

/ Spraying 2-4D #10  
mark.r said:
Doesn't the active chemical in 2,4-D, Round-Up, etc. become nuetral or inactive within a few days of being applied? So it should effect grass seed planted more than a week or longer afterwards.

2-4d will stay in the soil and go away after a while. There are possibilities that with too much application you can poison the soil with 2-4d.

Roundup is a foliage spray. It has to get on a leaf to do anything.

They are 2 totally different chemicals and work totaly different.