Spraying 2-4D

/ Spraying 2-4D #11  
Eric_Phillips said:
Chuck, the problem is the label doesn't give me a dilution. I can adjust the tractor speed to give very different application rates of the dilution. I know I need to adjust the application rate of the dilution to give me the amount of actual product suggested. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of and optimal dilution then I could adjust tractor speed accordingly. If the wind doesn't die down later this afternoon I am not sure when I will be able to spray. The rest of the week is supposed to be rainy.

Are the guys doing aerial spraying the ones killing off the cotton crops or is there really that much drift when spraying from a 10ft boom behind a tractor?
I have to talk myself through this every season.Lets make it simple.your spayer puts out say 10 gals per acre at lets say 5 mph. The label on the product will tell you how much to use per acre ,say one qt. as an example.so the dilution would be 1qt of product for each 10 gal. your sprayer holds. So you see the label cannot tell you the dilution because everyones spray equipment is different. The instructions are absurdley difficult to read. If you spray 20 gal per acre,you would mix 1qt of product per 20 gal water in the sprayer. I have to quit now before I confuse myself.

/ Spraying 2-4D #12  
I use a product called ParIII which I think is largely 24D. The dilution ratios are posted by the manufacturer on the web. Not sure which product you have but dilution ratios, spray rates etc should be posted by the manufacturer on the web and like you said the label does not have any of that info. The place you bought it should have a brochure or data sheet that has the proper mix and application data:)

/ Spraying 2-4D #13  
nmu98 said:
2-4d will stay in the soil and go away after a while. There are possibilities that with too much application you can poison the soil with 2-4d.

Roundup is a foliage spray. It has to get on a leaf to do anything.

They are 2 totally different chemicals and work totaly different.

Oh ok, didn't know that. So 2,4-d kills from the root of the weed?

/ Spraying 2-4D #14  
From Wikipedia:

2,4-D was developed during World War II by a British team at Rothamsted Experimental Station, under the leadership of Judah Hirsch Quastel, aiming to increase crop yields for a nation at war.[citation needed] When it was commercially released in 1946, it became the first successful selective herbicide and allowed for greatly enhanced weed control in wheat, maize (corn), rice, and similar cereal grass crop, because it only kills dicots, leaving behind monocots.
[edit] Mechanism of herbicide action
2,4-D is a synthetic auxin, which is a class of plant growth regulators. It is absorbed through the leaves and is translocated to the meristems of the plant. Uncontrolled, unsustainable growth ensues causing stem curl-over, leaf withering, and eventual plant death. 2,4-D is typically applied as an amine salt, but more potent ester versions exist as well.

Normally recommended 3 weeks before planting grass.