Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
forgeblast said:
"Some day" I know the feeling that list never gets smaller. Looking at the dome I was thinking instead of painting the cealing white, going with a light blue might make it feel like you were outside. Unless you know a mural artist who could come in and paint clouds etc :) Sam thanks again for posting more pics its such an impressive build.

We will do something grand after the surface is spakled and painted. Of course after many other things have be complete.

We decided to paint the exposed outside walls to seal and reflect most of the suns energy. This is a temporary thing because we plan to insulate and finish with stone, brick or stucco.

Attachments

• 2012-07-06 - 0001.JPG
    2012-07-06 - 0001.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 441
  • 2012-07-06 - 0004.JPG
    2012-07-06 - 0004.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 2012-07-06 - 0005.JPG
    2012-07-06 - 0005.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 2012-07-06 - 0007.JPG
    2012-07-06 - 0007.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 2012-07-07 - 0010.JPG
    2012-07-07 - 0010.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 2012-07-07 - 0011.JPG
    2012-07-07 - 0011.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 2012-07-07 - 0009.JPG
    2012-07-07 - 0009.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 727
Boy that tarantula looks ticked.

Did something come up that slowed you down other than finances? I am only asking as we have looked at this type of building and wondering what construction issues you have come up with

We took a break after covering the roof as far as we could during last winter. Since the water proofing can only be applied at around 70 and above, we waited for warmer weather to work the west wall. I was nice to take a break. We have many things that need to be done but the cash is the problem. So we do what we can and we continue to move forward. Construction issues can be avoided with good planning and detailed drawings. You or someone must know their trades to handle these issues.

Impressive Sam. Especially doing it bank free. Great commitment and sacrifice.

Thanks, many don't see that, they many just say how can you live like that? We would have been much better off financially if the money junkies didn't create all the hyper inflation.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #946  
We would have been much better off financially if the money junkies didn't create all the hyper inflation.

The "Money junkies" and the Gummint have definitely caused serious woes to our economy; but we don't have hyper-inflation, let alone inflation on the levels seen during Jiminy Peanut Carter's administration. You want hyper-inflation, check out Germany after WW1 and Argentina during the Peron era if I'm not mistaken.

Mortgage rates are at historic lows of 3.xx% compared to 18% - 21% during the early 80's.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #947  
Check this link out....this fella says a great depression is coming and disintegration of society..Sam and all...this is pretty scary ...see what you think of the what is on the link below....?

Sam is all set to weather any storm...way to go Sam !

News Headlines

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #948  
Check this link out....this fella says a great depression is coming and disintegration of society..Sam and all...this is pretty scary ...see what you think of the what is on the link below....?

Sam is all set to weather any storm...way to go Sam !

News Headlines

Good Mornin Bob,
My brother in-law who has been a CPA all his life has been preaching that this scenario is very possible. He is a very well read individual who has been on the mark many times before ! I hope he is wrong but.....

Our FED has promised not to move on interest rates, but for how long... will that be the catalyst ?

Sam, I think your ready to weather the storm quite well !

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #949  
I see Schumer and Bernanke disagreed on how to fix the economy. Bernanke told Congress they need to get off their butts and do some meaningful legislation; while Schumer said it ain't going to happen in an election year. Schumer told Bernanke to get back to work. It's nice to see our worthless Congress doing what they do best...pass the buck.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #950  
Very nice to see this thread come alive again, I just noticed.

We have a persistent leak. Our house is standard Terradome construction, per my earlier comments in this thread.
The shop has 8' sidewalls, the barn has 11' to allow a hayloft. The leak is located along this common wall. From the roof side you have the shop dome and then a vertical wall for the extra 3' on the barn. The shop module was poured first, including the dome. The barn was poured next. Since they share a wall, this leaves a cold pour between the shop sidewall/dome and the 3' extension for the barn on the common wall. At approx. the height of the cold pour is where the anchor bolts holding the 2x12 loft floor attach to the wall. We have consistent water coming in (slow drip, wet wall spots and dribbles). I have just realized that it is coming in the holes drilled for the anchors that attach the loft floor to the wall. No, they did not use SS anchors...

The loft is not in danger of falling down due to there being a lot of lally columns supporting it around the edge. I would, however, like to clean this up. I've had two contractors dig it up, things got better each time (we used to have a spreading puddle after a rain). This summer I dug it up (well, my 21 year old daughter and her friend did). There appeared to be a definite low spot in the poly/bentonite sheets used in the valley (pooling water along edge), so I peeled that back and poured in granulated bentonite. I had some leftover poly/bentonite sheeting, so I covered the granulated with that, lots of overlap on seams. Above that was the drain pipe, rock, landscape cloth. We left the hole (about 3' x 7') open to see what would happen. We made no discernible change in the leak.

It seems to us that the water could enter the cold pour and travel horizontally to where it prefers to leak, maybe that is happening here.

In the first pic you can see the shared wall from the barn side. The smoke alarm is mounted on a double 2x12. The 2x12 against the wall is wet. The big rust dribble is coming from the anchor fastener directly above it. You can see about half the hole at the top of the pic, partially covered by the joist hanger. You can also see my attempts at guttering; there is a sink directly below. The other picture shows a close up of the end of the fastener.

None of the other barn walls have any dribbles. Only a couple of spots on the shared wall have a dribble, and this one is by far the worst. Most of the fasteners on this wall don't leak.

That's what I've got on the leak.
--------------------------

We were really surprised at how well our small wood stove (an old Vermont Castings Resolute) heats the house. The living quarters are three modules, stove in the center and a fan in each hallway (to the outer two modules) keeps the bedrooms at reasonable temps in winter. Summer we run about 10 degrees below outside temp during the heat of the day (such as it is in Maine--mid 90's). We also have solar to supplement the boiler driven floor heat when something more than the wood stove is desired. The solar panel is a 24x8' hot water panel I built and we have radiant in the floor.

We really like our house.

Steve
Maine

Attachments

• DSCN5235.JPG
    DSCN5235.JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 445
  • DSCN5236.JPG
    DSCN5236.JPG
    685 KB · Views: 559