Tractor
    Kubota B26 TBL

Default Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

Hello everyone,
    Now that we have completed our road
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...-opinions.html
    to our home site we completed some of the footings and the first Terra-Dome
    Earth Sheltered Buildings
    build will begin tomorrow. A few pictures to enjoy.
    Last edited by SamWalton; 01-27-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    Kubota B26 w\Thumb, Quick Attach Pallet Forks, Land Pride PD15 auger, RBT1572 3-Way Position Rear Grading Blade, BB0554 Box Scraper and RCR1872 Rotary Cutter

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Default Re: Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

WOW !!!! I'm really looking forward to this. I've always been facinated by Earthen Shelters and homes built under ground.

What are the demensions? How many Sq Ft?

Eddie

Tractor
    Kubota B26 TBL

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    WOW !!!! I'm really looking forward to this. I've always been facinated by Earthen Shelters and homes built under ground.

What are the demensions? How many Sq Ft?

Eddie
    It is 3872 Sq Ft including the garage and 87' x 58', check out the floor plan.
    Last edited by SamWalton; 12-04-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Kubota B26 w\Thumb, Quick Attach Pallet Forks, Land Pride PD15 auger, RBT1572 3-Way Position Rear Grading Blade, BB0554 Box Scraper and RCR1872 Rotary Cutter

Tractor
    L4400

Congratulaitons on getting your home started.

I like the idea of no roof to blow away or be changed every 25 years. I'm sure heating and cooling costs are somewhat reduced, which will be very important in the coming years. My concerns are cost per square foot, plumbing, and no attic. Is plumbing conventional in the slab type, or does some of it run through the ceiling? If you miss your attic storage, you could always build a Terra Dome pole barn.
    -

Bob

From the heart of Cajun Country

Tractor
    '00 NH 1720

super cool please keep the pics and updates coming.. this is one of my favs building methods

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

Where i want to build our garage a terra dome would work great since it would be in a hillside. How are the domes formed? do you use one of those inflatable forms?

Tractor
    Kubota B26 TBL

Quote Originally Posted by forgeblast View Post
    Where i want to build our garage a terra dome would work great since it would be in a hillside. How are the domes formed? do you use one of those inflatable forms?
    A reinforced fiberglass dome is hydraulically lifted from its trailer while parked in the center of a module, then secured to the surrounding aluminum forms. The rebar, conduit and pressure treated block outs are added and a concrete pumper truck monolithically pours from the footings to the top of dome while worker vibrated to remove all voids. I our case we will have 4, 28' x 28' modules and one 14' x 28 flat roof section to complete our home.
    Last edited by SamWalton; 01-27-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Tractor
    Montana 4340C w/Loader, JD GX345 w/54in. mower

That is a cool design. I am looking forward to following your progress and seeing the end result.

How long will it take from start to finish?
    Montana 4340C w/loader, AgroTrend FU78 rear snowblower with hydraulic shute rotation, Horst 48" pallet forks, 3pt. 2-bottom plow, 6ft. bush hog rotarty cutter, 3pt. Woods 7ft back blade, 3pt. cultivator, 5ft 3pt. york rake, 6' KKII tiller, JD494 4-row planter. Future attachments: backhoe, grapple

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

I've long dreamed of building, and owning an earth home. Congratulations! My property is in a 100 year flood plain, and even though the FEMA maps are very inaccurate, the county would never allow me to put an earth home here. My next choice to replace my 1973 mobil home is a geodesic dome. Whatever I do, they will make me pay through the nose with permits, and flood plain certificates. Having been here 33 years, I am the expert on my property - not them.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

That is amazing. Did you have to buy the forms or do you rent them from terra-dome?
    Congrats on a such a unique and amazing design.

Page 1 of 97 12341151 ... LastLast