Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B7500 HST

Default Board Fence

What kind type of board/post do they use on those "purty" board fences? Cause when I win the lotto or folks start buying houses or a real job comes along (I was told this week I was too smart to work at a local factory...hello...) I'll be putting one up along the front of our property.
    Bo McCarty
    THE BO-MAN, er BO-DADDY

Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Default Re: Board Fence

Vinyl maybe?
    Regards,

Prokop

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

I used 4x4's as posts, except where the gates were i used 4x6s and then used pt decking as the sides. Inside i put in woven field fence to keep the dogs in.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by theboman View Post
    What kind type of board/post do they use on those "purty" board fences? Cause when I win the lotto or folks start buying houses or a real job comes along (I was told this week I was too smart to work at a local factory...hello...) I'll be putting one up along the front of our property.
    Bo,
    Around here most of the wood horse fences are half rounds (approx 12-14" cut in half and pressure treated). I got the posts from a local band saw guy who resold them for $6 ea. The boards are true 1 x 6 oak rough cut (not PT). I got mine from the same mill - a farmer owned/run mill. I've seen prices ranging averaging $6.50 - $7 for a 16 foot oak board from a few different small local mills. Co-op sells them for $7-8. After I bought the last batch I noticed I could get a 1 x 6 PT deck board from Lowes for the same price ($6.75) so I've just been using those. Easier to cut and nail than the rough cut oak. Don't know how the ACQ pt affects horses but ours don't chew and we are painting them anyway so I figure why not go with the pt. Although I suppose the oak rough cut is a little stouter if your horses want to try to run through it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    FarmTrac 270DTC

Use PT for the posts and pine boards for the rails. If not in ground contact you don't need PT.

Tractor
    Kubota MX-5000

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCobra View Post
    Bo,
    Around here most of the wood horse fences are half rounds (approx 12-14" cut in half and pressure treated). I got the posts from a local band saw guy who resold them for $6 ea. The boards are true 1 x 6 oak rough cut (not PT). I got mine from the same mill - a farmer owned/run mill. I've seen prices ranging averaging $6.50 - $7 for a 16 foot oak board from a few different small local mills. Co-op sells them for $7-8. After I bought the last batch I noticed I could get a 1 x 6 PT deck board from Lowes for the same price ($6.75) so I've just been using those. Easier to cut and nail than the rough cut oak. Don't know how the ACQ pt affects horses but ours don't chew and we are painting them anyway so I figure why not go with the pt. Although I suppose the oak rough cut is a little stouter if your horses want to try to run through it.
    This is pretty much what I did for my horse fence, though I used 1x6x16 pine instead of oak. However, the half-round posts I used were 6-7" x 8'. If Cobra really used 12-14" PT half-round posts, those would be absolutely enormous and way, way, way overkill, not to mention incredibly heavy.

Somebody already mentioned this, but the really "purdy" fences are usually made of vinyl (or solid gold or platinum coated in vinyl judging by the price).

If you go the wood route, here's a quick-and-dirty contraption I made to hold my chainsaw at a consistent angle to cut off the tops of the posts. It clamps onto the middle of the saw bar and slides along the top rail of the fence.

Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -june08-065-jpg   -june08-068-jpg   -june08-069-jpg   -june08-075-jpg   -july08-006-jpg  

-july08-007-jpg   -img_3548-jpg  

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 555 TLB, Xtra-Vator, pallet forks; Caterpillar 12 Motor Grader; FABTEK aerial platform

I saw a guy build a crossbuck fence with 4X4pt posts and orange fiberglass step ladder rails. The house sold and the new owner must not like orange because he tore the fence down.

Interesting "contraption", Josh. I've never seen that done. And a nice looking fence, too.
    Bird

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Phillips View Post
    Use PT for the posts and pine boards for the rails. If not in ground contact you don't need PT.
    I've never seen pine rough cut around here - only choices there in 16 foot lengths were poplar and oak and since the price difference wasn't much between those two I went with the sturdier oak. I prefer 16' boards because you can put the posts at 8' and stagger the joints.

They don't have non-pt 16' 1x at the local HD or Lowe's. I've never seen anything but 16' pt - and if those are the same price as non-PT rough cut - why not use them? Definately isn't going to hurt anything. Why are deck boards supposed to be PT? They aren't in ground contact.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by jcaron2 View Post
    This is pretty much what I did for my horse fence, though I used 1x6x16 pine instead of oak. However, the half-round posts I used were 6-7" x 8'. If Cobra really used 12-14" PT half-round posts, those would be absolutely enormous and way, way, way overkill, not to mention incredibly heavy.

Somebody already mentioned this, but the really "purdy" fences are usually made of vinyl (or solid gold or platinum coated in vinyl judging by the price).

If you go the wood route, here's a quick-and-dirty contraption I made to hold my chainsaw at a consistent angle to cut off the tops of the posts. It clamps onto the middle of the saw bar and slides along the top rail of the fence.

Josh
    You are right - they were mostly 6-8" some maybe 10" max in diameter. I know most were too big for a 6" auger and 9" was even tight sometimes. Some of the ones that were larger in the butt end had a pretty significant taper to them.

Handy contraption for getting the angle consistent. Doesn't look like it would be that much more involved to make one that sits on the other side of the fence so your saw is angled upwards. Having just trimmed a bunch by hand I know it made a big difference for me to be on the other side of the fence cutting up instead of down - you aren't reaching as high. Only seems like a few inches of difference but the different angle wears you out quicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast