Board Fence

/ Board Fence #11  
You are right - they were mostly 6-8" some maybe 10" max in diameter. I know most were too big for a 6" auger and 9" was even tight sometimes. Some of the ones that were larger in the butt end had a pretty significant taper to them.

Handy contraption for getting the angle consistent. Doesn't look like it would be that much more involved to make one that sits on the other side of the fence so your saw is angled upwards. Having just trimmed a bunch by hand I know it made a big difference for me to be on the other side of the fence cutting up instead of down - you aren't reaching as high. Only seems like a few inches of difference but the different angle wears you out quicker.

You're totally right about angling up rather than down. It was a major pain reaching up that high in the air. Much easier than free-handing it though!

/ Board Fence
Can't afford the wood, much less that vinyl!! Thanks for the info. Got a lot more knowledge that will get put to use. I'm cutting a slot in a coffee can right now to start dropping change for the wood fence.

/ Board Fence #13  
Can't afford the wood, much less that vinyl!! Thanks for the info. Got a lot more knowledge that will get put to use. I'm cutting a slot in a coffee can right now to start dropping change for the wood fence.

Well, as a few people already mentioned, you can usually save quite a bit by going with rough-cut boards from a guy with a portable sawmill. If you don't know anyone, you can usually find someone in your area on Craigslist. I paid $0.40/bdft for my pine rails, or $3.20 per 1x6x16. The only downside is that it'll be green so you'll have plenty of warpage and shrinkage to contend with. If you have the luxury of stacking, stickering, and drying the wood for a few months before you use it, you'll have a lot fewer popped nails or broken screws. On the other hand, when they're green the boards are really flexible, so if you have to bend them around any radiused corners like I did for my horse fence, they work great.

/ Board Fence #14  
I used PT some 20 years ago. I leave the post higher than the top board for driving the post back down from frost heave, when needed. I also used those purty aluminum post caps. I would leave enough room under the bottom broad for a push mower to fit easily. My wife made the lookout guy.

Img_3949_1.jpg Img_3951_1.jpg

Img_3948_1.jpg

/ Board Fence
Gizmo that's the type I'm looking to build when I get the funds.

Jaron2, I know a heck of a sawmill man, he cut all my boards for the Iron Hill Shed project, and there are also two mills in the 15 mile range of my house that could sell me some too now that I'm thinking and on the right track of board types.