The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,231  
You mean those little steel thingies that help the tree grow.:mur:
hugs, Brandi

That's em.
The little things you hold your bird houses, flower pot hangers, big dog signs,
and worst of all the things your ancestors held barbed wire to the tree with that are completely healed over.
We have found remnants of old downed fence in our woods and in the hundreds of vacant acres of woods next to ours that we made horse trails in (by permission of the absentee owner) that you would never imagine being fenced in the past.

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,232  
You mean those little steel thingies that help the tree grow.:mur:
hugs, Brandi

Yep, and Walnut seems to attract more tramp metal than even Cedar. So far I have been real lucky and the only metal I have found has not been in any logs.......but parts of my mill......backstops and dogs(clamps):laughing:

Pacer, the worst thing I have heard to hit is a ceramic insulator...they really tear stuff up. Guys on the sawmill forum show pictures of stuff all the time, civil war bullets, cannon ball, railroad spikes, chain, cable, a frozen squirrel(yep)....you name it it can be found in a tree:D

DST, yes this curved log had a large wide green band all the way through the log. It faded to light brown in about a half an hour. Some of the colors you see upon opening up a log are just brilliant. It's too bad that oxygen removes some colors so quickly, so you have to enjoy it like a sunset.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,233  
I started sawing a whack of Walnut my neighbor dropped off. First log was very....interesting:
InterestingWalnut001.jpg

I need trim wood for the interior doors and windows. After studying this log, I figured it was a good fit.

M-7
I like Walnut wood grain and color but I hate the fuzzies.
I have a 12" wide x 6" thick capacity power fed thickness planer that does a great job and different types of sanders but the natural walnut around here
particularly where there is white and dark wood on the same board about drives me nuts with the fuzzies. Even after lots of careful sanding they are just hiding waiting for a finish to pull them back up.
Have you found a good sanding sealer that makes the fuzzies problem
less time consuming on walnut?
Ron

#1,234  
Good lord.....no....and my whole house is "FUZZY".......I think it would send you into De-Fib then:laughing:

I have worked a lot of walnut on gun stocks. It just takes time to get rid of the fuzzys...not too big a deal.

#1,235  
More walnut today and I also had to cut "stickers" out of a 16'x15" Poplar log. These are what is used to stack lumber so it can dry. They are about 1"x1" and it took forever to get done:
InterestingWalnut010.jpg

Final product - 4' long:
InterestingWalnut011.jpg

#1,236  
Oh and Pacer I was thinking about your "fuzzy' problem. Have you tried spraying water on the wood with a handheld pump sprayer(like for windex)? Let that dry, then do your final sanding. The water brings all the whiskers to the surface.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,237  
That's em.
The little things you hold your bird houses, flower pot hangers, big dog signs,
and worst of all the things your ancestors held barbed wire to the tree with that are completely healed over.
We have found remnants of old downed fence in our woods and in the hundreds of vacant acres of woods next to ours that we made horse trails in (by permission of the absentee owner) that you would never imagine being fenced in the past.

Dad once got the bright idea not to nail 2x4s up the tree for our tree stands. Instead he nailed huge spikes to climb. Those are hard on your feet.
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,238  
Oh and Pacer I was thinking about your "fuzzy' problem. Have you tried spraying water on the wood with a handheld pump sprayer(like for windex)? Let that dry, then do your final sanding. The water brings all the whiskers to the surface.

Yep, That's the old tried and true method.
Ok for some small projects, but I sure wouldn't want to have to do it to
a couple thousand linear feet of door, window, and base molding.
The problem with Walnut is the finer you sand it the more the color and contrast dulls. Then it takes some oil to get the richness alive again.
Then rub, rub, rub.

I can see the natural curve of an old flintlock on that first crooked piece
of walnut you pictured:D

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,239  
Dad once got the bright idea not to nail 2x4s up the tree for our tree stands. Instead he nailed huge spikes to climb. Those are hard on your feet.
hugs, Brandi

And loose rails cause train wrecks:D

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,240  
And loose rails cause train wrecks:D

Ron your a riot.:D These spikes where really nails about a foot long and about 1/2 inch diameter. My Dad was an Aggie, but an honest Aggie.:laughing:
hugs, Brandi