The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
Finally...the block is done...well almost. I need to rebar and fill it, pour the slab, install the water barrier/perimeter drain, put a couple of feet of #57 rock ontop of that, then backfill.

I am very happy with the workmanship...straight as a gun barrel:)

Foundation047.jpg

Foundation053.jpg

Foundation050.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #63  
Wow, you got it going on!!

Sealing blocks. I chatted with a fella while back and he told me how he seals basements.
Uses foundation sealer. Wraps in plastic. More sealer. Wraps in plastic. Seals a last time.
Fills with river gravel (pea gravel, whatever you wanna call it) and it's rounded...it can't pack together like limestone.

Now, don't you fall off that hill!!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #64  
Looking verry nice!
Did you say you're going to hang a deck off that slope?? I've seen a deck off a steep slope like that before, it was actually pretty 'cool'. Kinda hangin out there with nature....and makes a good observation post as well.
I'm still workin on getting my dozer fixed!

keep the pics coming....

I have not seen any pea(rounded) gravel here, it's all limestone run thru a cursher. That is one reason I want to go with a membrane, it is puncture resistant.

Yes the deck will extend out about 15', so we will be really hanging over the drop off...it should be dramatic.

RD

I need some opinions. It's about 25 yards of crete to fill the block, rebar is another $3-400, so $3K total. Should I fill them all, or just the cut bank walls, corners & every few feet along the rest of the perimeter?

So far for the 30x36' + 40' of retainer wall:

Footers, dug & poured (labor) $600
rebar $400
crete $2,500
Block $2,400
Labor on block $2,400
Sand $300
Mortar $250

After the block is poured I still have to waterproof the cut bank walls then pour the slab.

RD

/ The Log house Project begins........ #67  
... Should I fill them all, or just the cut bank walls, corners & every few feet along the rest of the perimeter?...

The answer to your question is in the answer to my question.

Is this a house that you plan on keeping, or one that you will sell after it's built?

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........ #68  
I need some opinions. Should I fill them all, or just the cut bank walls, corners & every few feet along the rest of the perimeter?
RD

Really can't be a whole lot of difference cost-wise. If you fill cut-bank and corners and then in between the rest, that has to be 75% filled already- no?
Dave.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #69  
MotorSeven, been reading youe thread with great interest. On the issue of filling the blocks with concrete why not DIY? Purchase a mixer from a big box store, then mix and place it yourself. Probably will save some $ BUT it will be labor intensive. Just my .02. Andy

/ The Log house Project begins........ #70  
MotorSeven, been reading youe thread with great interest. On the issue of filling the blocks with concrete why not DIY? Purchase a mixer from a big box store, then mix and place it yourself. Probably will save some $ BUT it will be labor intensive. Just my .02. Andy

That's what I did.
If you do so, don't use ready mixes, instead get a load of crushed stone plus a load od cleab sand and bags of portland cement.
That way you can vary your mixes; eg higher PSI for floor etc.

When doing the floor pour do not foget the wire mesh!