The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #871  
Wow love the grain on the door its going to look great!!!!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #872  
The door looks amazing. It's nicer then any of my furniture!!!!

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........
I'm cuttin y'all off...no more pic's until it is done.

I installed the "un-named" feature yesterday...looks great. Hopefully it will be done today, but I doubt I can hang it by myself, the dang thing weighs about 300 lbs:confused3:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #874  
I'm cuttin y'all off...no more pic's until it is done.

I installed the "un-named" feature yesterday...looks great. Hopefully it will be done today, but I doubt I can hang it by myself, the dang thing weighs about 300 lbs:confused3:

Here's our chance, folks. Someone near M7 go volunteer to help him hang the door and then post back with what this secret unnamed feature is. I'm dying to find out.

I lied....it's not completely "done"....but it's close enough. Yes, with the threat of golfball sized man killin hail and massive Tornado's here, I finished the door by installing TNMike's forged straps down at the shop. I then layed it on the forks for transport up to the house. No help(as usual), so I figured..."what the heck, git r done".
The install went well and I still need to trim out the door and make a threshold, put acorn nuts on the inside bolt ends, then paint them flat black. I scuffed up the door a bit sliding on the forks, but some Tung oil will take acre of that:

Outside view:
HickoryDoor007.jpg

Inside view:
HickoryDoor003-2.jpg

HickoryDoor005-1.jpg

Now, before y'all start with the "Welcome to Captain D's", there is a story behind that port hole......................

In 1976 or 77 I was working as a student officer at Southeastern Louisiana University Police Dept. One of the full time guys, an older gentlemen was working on an old boat. He asked me if I would be interested in a couple of old bronze portholes that he had removed, and of course I said "yes". So, he gave me 2 Wilcox-Crittenden(now out of business) 8"-ers and each one had a crack in the glass from a bb gun. I thought they were the coolest thing, and told him that "someday when I build my house one of these is going in the front door."

I took them apart back then, cleaned them up and ordered new glass and gaskets. They sat in a box and got moved to TX, then FL where I gave one of them to a buddy. Then the remaining one made the move to TN when it finally saw the day light again today(36 years later). Anyway, it fits our eclectic tastes very well, and my wife spent a few years working on a yacht in the carribbean(Douglas MacArthur's old 120' wooden hull motor yacht built in 1929), so both of us have a soft spot for it.

So there you have it.................:thumbsup::laughing:

Last edited:
   / The Log house Project begins........ #879  
I was going to ask how heavy that door was the other day. I'd sure hate to get my finger caught in it.

That port hole is kinda funny to me. As a carpenter, I see many, many doors that are rotted out. Granted, regular maintenance could have stopped some of that. I've always said the only exterior door that I would have on my house that did not have a roof over it would have to be off of a submarine. You are getting there. :)

I really like that door and the special story that goes with it.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #880  
Yes Mike did an outstanding job on them, the door swings very easily!

CrazyAl, what do you lube the Woods with ? light oil?

In the handle there's just a simple rubber seal, any simple spray oil (wd40) works fine. The handle is brass on the metal handle ones and over time wears just a little bit so it's nice to clean the inside of the pump. They do make a special cleaner for the face of the cup that also helps protect the rubber but I think it's overkill.

Keep them in their cases, be careful of the outer edge where the little ridges are, and try not to let them fall (it usually happens when you leave them sucked onto glass and forget about them until they finally leak up and fall). The great thing about them is they'll last decades and can be used on almost any smooth surface. I've even seen glass guys use them as a step on skylights so they could caulk around the glass.

The door came out great btw. About the only thing I toted around with me for years is an old English Fox hunting horn my mother brought with he when she moved to the states. It took 25 years before I finally had a place for it but it now resides on a wooden beam in the living room.