At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,731  
The alternator on our 1995 F350 has not been working correctly. If I haven't driven the truck recently, I have to put a battery charger on the battery. When I start the truck and leave it on idle, the voltmeter in the dash shows less than 12V. After I start driving the truck I can watch the needle on the voltmeter jump up to 14V.

IMG_0245.JPG

Today I removed the alternator. It is easy to get to and just requires removing 3 bolts. That's the kind of mechanic job at which I am capable. In order to loosen the serpantine belt, you put a wrench on a pulley that is connected to short arm that uses a spring to keep tension. Pulling on the wrench handle will move the pulley arm, loosen tension on the belt, and enable the belt to be removed.

The belt was showing some wear, so I decided I would replace the belt while I am at it. I'll throw the old belt in the toolbox for use as an emergency spare.

My wife took the alternator to Advance Auto where they tested the alternator and verified that it was bad.

IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0248.JPG

It looks like a mouse has been living in the truck. I really hate mice.

IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods #4,732  
Put some ' moth balls in a couple of old socks, and place them strategically....I do this on the equipment in the barn, and they move on....Hope this helps....Tony. Ps I have always enjoyed your log...Thank You

/ At Home In The Woods #4,733  
Acorns stashes are usually the the work of chipmunks or red squirrels. Not sure if you have the small red squirrels in your area.

Mice would have a nest in there somewhere made of dried grass, or whatever soft material they can scrounge.

Of course, they are both auto destroying rodents. I have thinned chipmunk populations with Have-a-Hart live traps, which makes it easy to pop them with the BB gun.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,734  
Put some ' moth balls in a couple of old socks, and place them strategically....I do this on the equipment in the barn, and they move on....Hope this helps....Tony. Ps I have always enjoyed your log...Thank You

I've used moth balls also -- they work really well for mice and other rodents -- I've also heard of some using dryer softener sheets.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,735  
I've used moth balls also -- they work really well for mice and other rodents

We had a rodent problem and tried everything (including mothballs) but nothing worked. Ultimately, our problem was solved after we got a couple of outdoor cats.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,736  
Rodents are definitely an issue here. On multiple occasions I have killed mice that left the tractor after I started it up. I had never considered that chipmunks would be harmful to vehicles.

Outdoor cats would definitely be useful. However, I would have two concerns with getting some cats. First, there's a good chance they would become coyote food. Second, they might end up as indoor cats in order to save them from the coyotes.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,737  
Obed - be patient...you will have stray dogs and cats wander up looking for a home....adopt a few and you will be glad you did....

Now for the mice...do what I did and make this and put one wherever you keep your vehicles or tractor - it works.

Making a 5 gal. bucket mouse trap. - YouTube

Wait a minute Obed....didn't you post this youtube mouse trap a long time ago...? I can't remember but someone on TBN posted it...

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #4,739  
Rodents are definitely an issue here. On multiple occasions I have killed mice that left the tractor after I started it up. I had never considered that chipmunks would be harmful to vehicles.

Outdoor cats would definitely be useful. However, I would have two concerns with getting some cats. First, there's a good chance they would become coyote food. Second, they might end up as indoor cats in order to save them from the coyotes.

Obed

I had the same concerns. My advise is get only females. Better hunters and do not spray and mark. Second is a $15 cat door in the side of the garage will keep them out of nasty weather and local.

I live in the sticks, 7 miles from the nearest gas station. I have only lost one cat and thats to a neighbors dog. Not a mouse or mole in 8 years. They don't eat a bowl of food a month because they hunt so much. Sometimes I see them catch 4 or more things in a day.

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods #4,740  

Something similar happened to me, only in my case the cat became sick and we brought her inside to care for her. It turned out that she was also pregnant. Only one baby survived and we got quite attached to them both so now we have two outdoor cats and two indoor cats. If you wish, you can read about my struggle to save her life via the link to my TBN forum thread shown below.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/front-porch/236554-anyone-here-veterinarian.html