At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #4,841  
Electric or cordless chainsaws are usually much smaller than gas saws...this gives the the unique ability to fit in places you can't get a bigger saw...I use them when digging stumps to cut large roots below tilling/plowing grades...

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,842  
You can buy new pins. A 4-1/2" angle grinder will cut the nut easily, if you don't have one, it's a great addition to the arsenal that will get used again.

Do you have a grinder? Just cut it off if so, wont take 5 mins and a cutoff wheel.
I looked on Craig's list for an angle grinder and found one for $30. It looked pretty well used though. I don't know that I want one badly enough to buy a new one. I might be willing to pay $30.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,843  
Today the welder got back to me with an estimate for cutting off the box blade link pins, welding a receiver tube to the scraper blade, and welding jinman's hitch ball hole fabrication onto the back of my box blade. Including travel to my place, the estimate was $300. Keep in mind I only paid $300 when I bought the box blade at a farm auction.

I asked the welder how much it would cost if I carried the implements to his place and he told me $180. I asked him where he lived and he told me Virginia! That's 2 hours from here. I thought he was local. I'm going to have to pass on using him.

I guess I'll ask around and see if anybody knows any local welders.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,844  
ENG18LT said:
Obed,

I am pretty sure that you can get pins at TSC that will have Cat2 threads and Cat1 pins. I had a need for some last year, as best as my memory serves me.
Lee,
I looked again at TSC online. They have Cat1 threads with Cat2 pins. I need the opposite. I guess there's not much demand for people with little tractors trying to using bigger category implements. My box blade is 6 ft wide and fairly heavy duty. Lots of people use 4' box blades with a tractor the size of mine. However, I have not had any issues with pulling my 6' wide box blade. My tractor is 5' wide. I really like having a BB that is wider than the tractor. I can reach stuff that is outside my tires with my wide BB and find that feature extremely useful. For example, when grading dirt around our house, I could get the side of the BB within a couple inches from the walls of the house.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,845  
MAN obed again I hate that I'm not within a half hour or so of you. I would tell you to buy the receiver tubes off agrisupply or somewhere, id bring my welder and grinder out cut the pin off and then have u put on the one you order off agrisupply woith bushings, while I burn the receivers onto the boxblade.

Also go to Harbor freight, get the $15 4.5" grinder. Its not the best one, cause it does not have the powerfull motor of a dewalt but it works for what you want to do. Esp when you use it 2x a year. I have the even smaller 4" one and I have cut everything from rusted bolts to exhaust systems to steel to build my bushhog. Again it does not have the power but I have got my $15 out of it.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,846  
$300? That's insane - $50 max, I'd say (unless I'm missing something here...). To find a local welder, find a LWS (Local welding store) and call or stop in. Tell them you need someone to do this job and ask for recommendations. They should be able to give you a few names easily. Another route might be a real farm/feed store. They may have a bulletin board for posting business cards on, or have some suggestions in the equipment dept.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,847  
any local auto shop that does mufflers has a welder, I mean small shop, not like Midas. A place where the owner is there and works as well. I bet they will burn the 2 tubes on for you for $50-70 like I said before and like ds said.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,848  
Obed,
Sorry about that, memory isn't what it used to be. The more I think about it I probably did get those Cat1 to Cat2 pins since I have Cat2 links. You definitely are better off with a wider box blade to cover tire tracks. I find it very annoying to have to make repeated passes just to get the tracks out, much easier the first time. Bummer about the welder, there has got to be someone closer to you that can do it. If not.... it is an excuse to get yourself a mig welder! Good luck.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,849  
Obed maybe you should invest the 300 in a welder problem solved and you would have it for future needs!!!

/ At Home In The Woods #4,850  
Yea for $300 you can go to Harborfreight get you a welder, extra wire or sticks, a welding helmit, gloves, a grinder and still have a $100 to buy the materials. Like i said you wont be doing real structural welding like putting your trailer back togeather for road hauling but for stuff like putting a ball on a box blade or welding a nut onto a stripped bolt, or spotwelding something like a nut to keep it from backing off, or ......