At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #4,971  
I'll third the MAPP gas torch. An OA torch will do it quick & easy, but MAPP will get there if you give it enough time. The MAPP torch is also pretty cheap.

On the other paw...an OA torch set is incredibly handy...

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,972  
Actually you could MAYBE use a small propane torch, self igniting model, with a MAPP gas tank -(yellow tank) (which is like 5 times hotter than propane, to heat up the bent flange to then bang it straight with a sledge hammer). I'm not a metal guy, so someone else with more knowledge on this subject could comment on whether that might work, or not.

I forgot to second someone else's notion of using a MAPP gas torch to heat it and bend it back- that stuff is safer and easier to use than OxyAcetylene, but not quite as hot.

It's sold in little tanks like propane, but they are always yellow and are available almost anywhere that sells propane torch kits.

It should definitely give you enough heat to bend that back.

I'll third the MAPP gas torch. An OA torch will do it quick & easy, but MAPP will get there if you give it enough time. The MAPP torch is also pretty cheap.
It looks like a MAPP torch may be in my future. I'm guessing I can solder copper plumbing with it too? That's another project somewhere in my future.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 014045324977lg.jpg
    014045324977lg.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 119
   / At Home In The Woods #4,973  
It looks like a MAPP torch may be in my future. I'm guessing I can solder copper plumbing with it too? That's another project somewhere in my future.

You can...

But, I would not recommend it. MAPP gets pretty hot & you risk overheating the copper. A propane version would be a much better choice for plumbing.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,974  
You can...

But, I would not recommend it. MAPP gets pretty hot & you risk overheating the copper. A propane version would be a much better choice for plumbing.
Can I hook up a regular propane tank to that MAPP torch?

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,976  
   / At Home In The Woods #4,977  
You can...

I once spent along afternoon soldering up the corners of a water heater tray with an acetylene torch. It was so hot that the solder kept running out before it could stick.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,978  
Can I hook up a regular propane tank to that MAPP torch?

As others have noted, yes, you can get a mapp/propane torch. I've got one, and it really is quite a bit hotter than straight propane. Also get one with a swirl tip. I think all the mapp torches have one. My mapp torch with the swirl burner seesm to run hotter even with propane than my strait flame torch.

I prefer the torch on a hose like this one, it never fails the cylinder is always in the way, so having a tip you can move independently helps in a lot of cases.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,979  
It appears that Bernzomatic does promote using that torch for soldering copper plumbing. There's a video here.

You can definitely use both. I have that torch and use primarily mapp gas but have used propane on occasion depending on what I'm doing as propane is cheaper than mapp. As for soldering copper tubing my experience is that propane sucks unless you are joining pipes that have never seen water and it isn't winter time. Mapp gas works so much better when doing work on existing systems. It seems like unless you let a pipe drain forever you can never get enough water droplets out to keep the tubing from cooling down, even when using the balled up piece of bread trick. Don't be crazy and you will be just fine using mapp gas for soldering copper tubing. I've used that same mapp gas torch myself a lot and had quite a bit of success with it, I would highly recommend it, and mapp gas in general.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,980  
I have soldered copper, from a whole house years ago to small projects. Propane works, it's what I always have used, but as LtCheg says, it is slow. I didn't realize how slow it is until I watched the guy make plumbing changes when we switched water heaters. He was using MAPP and I couldn't believe how quickly he was getting joints done in 3/4" copper. He was a pro, but still.

It isn't necessary, but I clean and tin the pipe ends first before soldering a joint. I think it reduces the chance of a leaky joint for homeowners who don't work with copper very often.