How far is too far??

/ How far is too far?? #1  

RxRatedZ71

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3203
I am planning to build a 30x40 pole barn this spring/summer and I want to run electricity to it. I walked off the distance this weekend. It looks like about 265' from my house (where I will back-feed from the meter/panel) to the nearest wall of the barn site. Is this too far to still be functional?
I plan on keeping my usage simple inside the barn/shop (i.e. overhead lights, wall outlets, etc). As of this point, the largest items I would be running would be a small refrigerator, maybe a space heater, and hand tools. Its not like I need to be wired for welding or drying clothes.
It would be nice to already have the work done before I begin building and have a temp pole/outlet already close-by to allow for easier access during construction. I've called an electrician friend of the family and am waiting for a call back. Also, is conduit recommended? I've heard that it just allows water to pool, and we all know that water & electricity don't play well with each other.

P.S.
It was after much saving and reading of TBN threads that I have courageously stepped up to even think of building my own barn. So thats to all that reply and those who have posted their building projects. I, too, will try to take many pictures to help those that follow in my footsteps.

/ How far is too far?? #2  
I had an electrical service put in for my new pole building (http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing-construction-pictures.html?highlight=pole) last fall. The power company engineer came out to look things over. My house was about 275' from the transformer and it was another 275' to my pole building. He felt that was too long of a run, so they moved the transformer to the pole near my house (actually they put in a new pole a little closer to the house and pole building), thus it was about 265' from the transformer location to the pole barn service and maybe 50' to the house service.

It seems like the distance from the transformer to the building would be the important distance and you didn't state what that was. If your power company is like ours, the will gladly come and give you advice. I have a 220 welder which requires a 45A fuse and a few other 220 tools so I felt I needed a separate service for the potential draw from the pole building.

/ How far is too far??
I thought I had mentioned it earlier, but I am looking to avoid having the power company come back out and run "primary" to the shop. When we built our house, we planned to "feed" the shop out of our house's meter & panel. Thus making the shop run on "secondary". I learned that if the Electric Co-Op were to come out, they would love to run power from the transformer to the shop. However, they also want a monthly fee for another meter, and then your electric bill increases by at least $30/month just b/c of accessibility.

/ How far is too far?? #4  
You won't have a problem with what you described. Run a minimum size of #10 copper wire. I would suggest running 240V service. My barn is same distance and I ran a 30 amp, 240V sercice to it from my house panel. Have no issues with running lights, ceiling fans, refrig, 5HP compressor, etc. As long as wire is sized correctly for the load, voltage drop will not be an issue in this distance.

/ How far is too far?? #5  
The maximum distance is strictly a function of load and wire size. The heavier wire, the less voltage drop and the more load it will support.

I have three barns feed serially, the furtherest about 600' from the house, the nearest about 250'. The previous owner had the nearest set up for a welder with a 100 amp feed (#6? copper, I'm not sure without looking).

The newest, most distant barn Lowe's didn't have the #10, I wanted, so I ended up with #12. However, the compressor won't start out there, too much of a starting load. I'm sure if I had #8 going all the way out, it would be fine.

I agree, run 220 (3 wire plus ground) and put the space heater and the refrigerator on different sides of the 220/110.

Ken

/ How far is too far?? #6  
I ran 125 amp, 220 V service 100 feet to my barn from the meter on the pole. I used 00 direct bury aluminum cable that I purchased at home depot. I buried it 24" deep using a rented, walk behind ditchwitch.

There are wire size calculators on line you can use to determine the size wire necessary.

/ How far is too far?? #7  
I am not a electrician, but I would strongly recommend using a PVC conduit, heavier wire than you think you need, and absolutely 240V, with separate ground. There is no reason water would get into the conduit if you install it correctly, and use some soft fill around it. Do it once, and use it many times.

/ How far is too far?? #8  
I ran 125 amp, 220 V service 100 feet to my barn from the meter on the pole. I used 00 direct bury aluminum cable that I purchased at home depot. I buried it 24" deep using a rented, walk behind ditchwitch.

There are wire size calculators on line you can use to determine the size wire necessary.

Just run the wire size calculation
300ft is no problem you have to use the calculator and up size the wire to cut the voltage drop.

Here is one that I like
Wire Size Calculator

tom

/ How far is too far?? #9  
For what you are doing 10/3 Romex should be ample. You can use the underground variety for direct burial, the regular dry indoor type installed in a run of 1" plastic water pipe, or separate conductors (plus ground) in plastic conduit. Check out the price for each choice in your area.
When you have your trench in, you might want to also run a water and/or phone line for future use.....

/ How far is too far?? #10  
For the size of the building you are proposing I don't think 10/3 will cut it you will regret it later.

You need to figure what equipment you want to run out there (welder compressor outlets ect) and work backwards from there the heater will draw significant power just like the welder or compressor.

I wouldn't consider any thing under 240v 60 amp service.
I would suggest copper to cut the voltage drop even more.

tom