Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4103

Default Re: reduce heating bill with Wood Stove

Thank you for the log length tips. They are great. I talked with one place about the stove I picked and gave the guy the floor plan and he said to me that model was not the right model for me.
    he suggested two different models

Jotul F 400 Castine
    Jøtul's medium-sized single door, non catalytic woodstove just got better, with enhanced fire viewing and air wash performance. Featuring meticulous craftsmanship and design, the Jøtul F 400 Castine will provide a warm, wonderful centerpiece for your hearth and home. Created by award winning designers, this stove has a unique nautical theme which highlights the tradition of seacoast living, a lifestyle shared by residents of Maine and Norway.

Jotul F 50 Rangeley
    The Jøtul F 50 TL Rangeley will offer the convenience of top loading in a non catalytic clean burning stove. Marrying both cast iron and steel, the Jøtul F 50 TL Rangeley will be offered with a choice of either steel or cast iron sides. Boasting an overall 84% energy efficiency, and EPA certified low 2.84 grams/hr emission; the Jøtul F 50 TL Rangeley is the perfect house heater for those cold winter months.

I have uploaded the quotes so you can see the chimney materials it will NOT be cheap. To install stove pipe is going to be $2085 Seems pretty pricey to
    me for just up through the roof. But I remember in other posts some people
    paid a lot for theirs. Will get other quotes.

The F50 is a also a top loader Does any body have experience with either of these two models?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -f400-jpg   -jotul_tl_50_int01_nohandle-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I found the best prices for what I wanted in pipe at Lowes. They had to special order what I wanted, but compared to the stove shops, it was a huge savings.

I've also learned that it's much butter to cut my logs on the short side. One load is more then enough to heat my place all night with a few pieces left over, so there isn't any advantage for them to be longer in my case. I have had to play the game of angling the log just right to get it to fit into my box, and so far, have succeeded, but it's not a game that I want to play anymore.

Looks like a very high quality stove. Be sure to check Craigslist, Ebay and the local classifieds for the model that you want. I got lucky when I decided on the brand and model that I wanted by finding it on Craigslist for half of what it sells for new.

Eddie

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4103

Hi Guys
    As a womens privledge I have changed my mind and order my stove last night will arrive today The Alderlea T5 heats up to 2000 sq feet. Fire box is
    2.1 cubic feet and I can cook on it. This is the middle stove again I only have 1500 sq foot home, but wanted the longer burn time. Once I get deliver I will take pictures of our install and before after. Also need to post pictures of my wood racks I built already 3 cord split and stack on deck and have another
    2 cord split and on the ground. The estimate for chimney with labor was $1250 which I thought was good price but we do not have eveything firmed
    is estimate and we need to check on few things so it might be more.
    I got plain black and the reason I choose stove this stove was cook top and the right size.
    Concealed Swing-Out Cook Top, Fits 6" x13" pan

Pacific Energy Fireplace Products | Alderlea Cast Iron Wood Stoves & Inserts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ald_cook_sm01-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

That looks cool Michelle! But not cool as in cold. Now watch you will have a mild winter.. I have 7 cords split and stacked for my Dad's place and my place...
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor

Congratulations. You're timing is perfect. I put mine in about this time last year and I'm about to start spliting wood again. I have a chord left over from last year and will split another that I will burn after last years is gone. My guess is that I wont need much of the second chord, but want it just in case.

Eddie

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4103

Well guys
    My stove sits under over hang in a box, and just gave the guy a deposit for the chimney install. The stove was $2106.

The chimney is going to be $1260, so I did not think that was as bad some of the estimates I saw the only thing I am decided on is the floor board.

I am thinking of using 2 X 6 on edge then a thermal layer and a stone big
    squares and then something to finish the edge.

Does anybody have any pictures of that under their wood stove so I can
    see some pics?????

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle K linnane View Post
    Well guys
    My stove sits under over hang in a box, and just gave the guy a deposit for the chimney install. The stove was $2106.

The chimney is going to be $1260, so I did not think that was as bad some of the estimates I saw the only thing I am decided on is the floor board.

I am thinking of using 2 X 6 on edge then a thermal layer and a stone big
    squares and then something to finish the edge.

Does anybody have any pictures of that under their wood stove so I can
    see some pics?????
    I built my own stove and 3 others. 1 More is planned. All can be cooked on, #4 is designed more cooking friendly than the first 3.

Under the Stand the stove sits on is Tile. The one that looks pink actually is the same color as the other three. Not shown is under the stove in now tiled with smaller red tiles 1/2" thick. Have not got to the back wall yet.

Did my own instalation. Stove will burn about 3 hours or more after a good bed of coals is built up. 2 years of service and no problems. Will have to replace outside stove pipe this year.

Love the gentle heat that spreads through out the house with the help of a little fan set on low. Some mornings it is real nice to sit with the door open, while sitting there with my coffee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -stand-2-jpg   -inside-1-jpg   -outside-pipe-1e-jpg  
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor

I used different colored ceramic tile that I broke up.

Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -927102232-jpg   -927102030-jpg  

Silver Member
    Tractor
    massey ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    I used different colored ceramic tile that I broke up.

Eddie
    Thats nice work

Tractor
    NH TC45

here's a pic of mine. just moved in to the house 3 months ago so stove hasn't been used yet. It has holes on top with removable lids for cooking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2-12-11stove-005-450-a  
    Mike

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast