reduce heating bill with Wood Stove

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #271  
Yep, when I worked in Toledo and lived east of there, I would look at the skyline toward Lake Erie on my commute to see if the Davis-Besse plant was running, or broken, judging by steam or the lack of it coming out of the cooling tower.

There is no way that nuke plant ever pushed rates down that I can see. You pay to build them, pay a surcharge when they are offline, pay to fix them, and finally pay to mothball them.

Natural gas is expanding into some of the towns in this area, if the town has a couple of big anchor customers like a paper mill, manufacturing, the state offices in Augusta, etc. I don't ever expect to see a gas line running down my road.

Personally, I try to continue shifting to wood and solar for home energy but the returns are diminishing as I get closer to fossil fuel free home energy. My next step would be to replace the little bit of propane (~150 gal/year) we use for radiant heat, to solar hot water supplied.

I can't see solar ever being much here in Mid Michigan. We have fewer sunny days than just about anyone.

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #273  
I can't see solar ever being much here in Mid Michigan. We have fewer sunny days than just about anyone.

I am surprised that our area gets ~75% of the sun that they get around Orlando, FL, in the "Sunshine State." So we do okay here. But, you are correct, you have to chose what makes sense for the area conditions.

Burning corn for fuel would be a really bad choice here, for example.

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #274  
The $250/cord is a bit high for here. If you buy green and hold it for the next year, $180/cord is typical. Dry seasoned can be $220/cord.

Southeast New Hampshire, where much of the state's population is found, is a bedroom community to the jobs around Boston. Anything around Boston will cost more.

Can be anywhere from $250-350 (in $25 increments) around here depending on the supplier and time of year (ie. HDD).

Of course that's if you buy it...

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #276  
Yes....
"VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED ON OUR CURRENT CAMPAIGNS "