reduce heating bill with Wood Stove

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #213  
It's the 10,000e series, and no, I have not paid for it yet.

I don't want to highjack this thread, nor tell you what to do. But do yourself a favor and go on hearth.com in the boiler room and ask question and for review before buying this boiler.

From the little I read on it, the 10 000 is not a gaification unit, wich is not good, technology have change and is still changing. If you still want ro go with heatmasterss I would at least go with te G-series, more efficient and burning significant lesss wood. Even if wood is free it is still work.

Anyway, just my 2 cent, I would just hate knowong that someone apend 10k$ on something and he might regret it.

I have no boiler yet. Bit been readin A LOT on them cause it s in the plan for the house, and from the little I know, I would not get the 10 000e. But it s just my opinion. I am not related to any boiler industries, I am just a DIYer trying to educate myself and help others.

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #214  
I don't want to highjack this thread, nor tell you what to do. But do yourself a favor and go on hearth.com in the boiler room and ask question and for review before buying this boiler.

From the little I read on it, the 10 000 is not a gaification unit, wich is not good, technology have change and is still changing. If you still want ro go with heatmasterss I would at least go with te G-series, more efficient and burning significant lesss wood. Even if wood is free it is still work.

Anyway, just my 2 cent, I would just hate knowong that someone apend 10k$ on something and he might regret it.

I have no boiler yet. Bit been readin A LOT on them cause it s in the plan for the house, and from the little I know, I would not get the 10 000e. But it s just my opinion. I am not related to any boiler industries, I am just a DIYer trying to educate myself and help others.
I think you may have your stoves mixed up. The e series is much more efficient than the g and with very little smoke. It costs more, but from my research its worth it. It also burns coal, wet wood, railroad ties etc...

My Stove Journey

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #215  
Yup keep on telling yourself that...still doesn't make it fact.

$9700 taxes in for an ATV in '01:yup;would I do it again? Nope was a mistake and I have no problem admitting that. Wasteful; young and impressionable.

UTV; great if you need it or think you do!

$4470 over 2 heating seasons is major $$

Questions; 1. Is there something wrong with the
Furnace
2. Is your home drafty?
3. Is your home huge?
4. Could you have an oil leak?

I'm on natural gas F/A and a cold month may run me $160 and that's with heating the shop at least a week in the month. House temp 74 or 26deg
and shop about 65 or 18ish.

Just saying that oil bill seems high++

$4470 for heating oil over two years is a little over 600 gallons per year. That's not out of the norm for an average house in a colder New England climate. Once you start to figure in that heating with Propane or heating oil is not cheap and once you get outside of the city and don't have the option of natural gas then you can see why wood or pellet stoves actually do save money.

Some of us cant buy Nat Gas. We dont live in a city with it or in an area with gas lines through it. If i wanted gas i would have to get propane trucked in and thats no deal!! My neighbor spends like $600-900 a season i think on propane, and also spends maybe $100 month more for electricity for heatpump and burns a fire 24/7 in his stove!! and we live in SC imagine if that was in a northern climate. Yes he lives in an old drafty 150 year old house.

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #216  
Yup keep on telling yourself that...still doesn't make it fact.

$9700 taxes in for an ATV in '01:yup;would I do it again? Nope was a mistake and I have no problem admitting that. Wasteful; young and impressionable.

UTV; great if you need it or think you do!

$4470 over 2 heating seasons is major $$

Questions; 1. Is there something wrong with the
Furnace
2. Is your home drafty?
3. Is your home huge?
4. Could you have an oil leak?

I'm on natural gas F/A and a cold month may run me $160 and that's with heating the shop at least a week in the month. House temp 74 or 26deg
and shop about 65 or 18ish.

Just saying that oil bill seems high++

$4470 for heating oil over two years is a little over 600 gallons per year. That's not out of the norm for an average house in a colder New England climate. Once you start to figure in that heating with Propane or heating oil is not cheap and once you get outside of the city and don't have the option of natural gas then you can see why wood or pellet stoves actually do save money.

Thanks for the info, there is 60 yards of concrete in the house/garage with insulation below it. The 10,000e wood boiler is very conservative on wood and can get by with just one loading a day in normal winter conditions. It will also burn coal, rail road ties, wet wood etc. I am figuring 6-8 cords a year but am prepared for more. I have never been in radiant heat home, but folks tell me it's the berries. We built with 2x6 walls and used Andersen A-series windows to help keep it tight. The high ceilings will surely not help things, but it's our dream house and we are only doing this once!

IMG_7104_zpscf496c66.jpg

beautiful wife!

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #218  
Have been heating our houses with wood for near on 40 years. The house we live in presently is a log home and was designed from the beginning to be heated by a interior wood stove in the kitchen. The house has a central stone chimney (heatsink) and fireplace. Stove and fireplace have fresh air inlets to prevent drafts in the house. We have an oil fired furnace as well as a heat pump air conditioning unit. We use about 100 gal of oil per year mainly for hot water, yes a separate oil fired hot water heater. There is a warmth about a wood stove that I love. On cold days the kitchen is 80 degrees and the far reaches of the house are about 70 degrees. We bank the fire at night and sleep under a quilt in cooler temps around 60-65 degrees. We use about 3 cords of wood per year which comes from our own woodlot. We have a woodshed that keeps our years supply of wood after it sits outside a year to cure. Use a tractor with a front end loader to decrease the number of times we handle each piece of wood. Since I am retired now I don't have to kill myself cutting and splitting wood to get ready for the winter season. I cut, split and stack wood in the fall for the next year. Sometimes I finish up in March.

The tractor is used for the produce garden where we sell vegetables at the local Farmers' Market when we aren't burning wood. Nunamaker Farms - Nunamaker Farms in West Grove, Pennsylvania - Home

Last edited:
   / reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #219  
Some of us cant buy Nat Gas. We dont live in a city with it or in an area with gas lines through it. If i wanted gas i would have to get propane trucked in and thats no deal!! My neighbor spends like $600-900 a season i think on propane, and also spends maybe $100 month more for electricity for heatpump and burns a fire 24/7 in his stove!! and we live in SC imagine if that was in a northern climate. Yes he lives in an old drafty 150 year old house.

That explains it!

Thx

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #220  
i have been watching this thread, i just want to say as it has already been said about the added cost of a 4-wheeler/tractor and chain saw. we live in the woods about 15 miles for the closet town and the closest Walmart is 30 miles. anyway we own 2 tractors, 1-4 wheeler, 1- RTV and a chainsaw.we don't burn wood and we have these tool's already. now i could see if you use these things only for fire wood and nothing else. you would have to figure in the cost of them into the cost of the firewood, how ever in the real world they only are used for fire wood maybe a total of 1-2 Weeks a year. depending how big and how fast you want to fill the wood shed. like i said we don't have a wood stove for heat , however have been looking at them. just my 2 cents from someone in the woods.