AZ ranch

/ AZ ranch #31  
Looks like the makings of a good long thread. Welcome to TBN by the way! This one is right up TBN alley because it involves cutting, slashing, burning, building, digging, burying, figuring, sweating and ....Oh, did I mention tractoring?!:laughing: Anyway, I had a thought on you water situation. While sharing the well down the road keep in mind that your tractor probably has a lifting capacity of 1000 lbs or less and water weighs around 8lbs/gal so plan on making a few trips for 2500 gal tanks. I know you're probably not figuring on keeping them filled to the rim all the time but just mentioning. As others have said you've got a great looking place there with a nice view. Sounds like solar will be the thing for you and your location. Two main requirements have already been met here.....We know your location and you've posted plenty of pics!:thumbsup::laughing: Again, welcome and "post away"!:thumbsup:

BTW, here's a link to another thread that might be handy as well. It's along the lines of Obed's thread because it involves the frontier and homesteading but this one includes solar energy, log houses (a little more than a cabin) :) and tractoring! Also, within it are links to other threads as well. It's by 3RRL (Rob and Loretta) and pretty informative.:thumbsup:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/104037-3r-home-barn-project.html

/ AZ ranch
Thanks for the link to 3R thread. I'll be busy reading that one as well as Obed's.
I found a couple of slightly used water tanks (2600 gallon) on Craigslist. I hope to pick one of both up next weekend.

/ AZ ranch #33  
Thanks for the link to 3R thread. I'll be busy reading that one as well as Obed's.
I found a couple of slightly used water tanks (2600 gallon) on Craigslist. I hope to pick one of both up next weekend.

I use a IBC tank (300 gallons) to fetch water to bring it back to my cabin on a trailer you might want to look at that too.

Photo-of-IBC2.jpg

I also collect rain water in one to use to flush the toilet my well only produces 20 gallons a day we save that for the more important tasks like cooking and showering!

16orignalseptictanklocation.jpg

tom

/ AZ ranch
I'm looking at a water trailer with a 500 gallon tank. I know this would weigh over 4,000 lbs when full but the dealer said my L3400 would tow that okay. He just said to be careful going downhill. The well is down the hill so I would be towing all the weight uphill (1,000 feet over 3 miles).
If you all think that is way too much weight, then I am looking at a small dump truck (F800) that should be able to pull it okay.

/ AZ ranch #35  
Hi Bo.
It seems we are neighbors x2 !
We also have 40 acres in Sierra Verde, and live in Mesa most of the time.
Our land is about 5 miles north of I40 in the Markham Pass area.
Yes, we have seen rattlesnakes, packrats, javalina, elk, deer, and antelope.
I look forward to following your thread. I haven't started one here because I don't have a tractor yet! (Bummer...)
Anyway, you can see what we've been up to at our blog at ArizonaRanch.org - Building a Homestead Ranch in Northern Arizona
Here is the cabin we've been building for the last 3 years or so...
Good luck, and have fun!

Attachments

• arizonaranch_800x600.jpg
    arizonaranch_800x600.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 591
   / AZ ranch
Hi Bo.
It seems we are neighbors x2 !
We also have 40 acres in Sierra Verde, and live in Mesa most of the time.
Our land is about 5 miles north of I40 in the Markham Pass area.
Yes, we have seen rattlesnakes, packrats, javalina, elk, deer, and antelope.
I look forward to following your thread. I haven't started one here because I don't have a tractor yet! (Bummer...)
Anyway, you can see what we've been up to at our blog at ArizonaRanch.org - Building a Homestead Ranch in Northern Arizona
Here is the cabin we've been building for the last 3 years or so...
Good luck, and have fun!

Outstanding! We need to get in touch. I'm headed up next Thursday for a long weekend. How about you?

/ AZ ranch
I'm looking at a water trailer with a 500 gallon tank. I know this would weigh over 4,000 lbs when full but the dealer said my L3400 would tow that okay. He just said to be careful going downhill. The well is down the hill so I would be towing all the weight uphill (1,000 feet over 3 miles).
If you all think that is way too much weight, then I am looking at a small dump truck (F800) that should be able to pull it okay.

I bought the water trailer today. I left it in Prescott until I go back to the ranch next weekend, so I can't take a picture of it yet. It is only a year old. The guy was desperate. I felt kinda guilty paying him what he asked for it. I think he could have gotten a lot more if he wasn't in such a hurry.

/ AZ ranch

Oh yeah, I bought a dump truck also. I got a 1980 F8000. It is probably way bigger than I need. As the responses on my CDL thread were stating, it would be far cheaper to rent one for what little I REALLY NEED one for, but it is sort of like my tractor - it is a toy I have wanted for 50 years, so I finally got it. It is rated for 27,500 lbs which means I will need a class B CDL I believe. I am going to check into possibly downgrading it to 25,500 and also check on the possibility of registering it for farm use. I can try. And if the insurance ends up being sky high, I just won't insure it and I'll only drive it on the ranch. The grandkids will love it! :thumbsup:
Also, like the water trailer, I left it in Prescott so I can't take a picture of it either. :(

/ AZ ranch #39  
Outstanding! We need to get in touch. I'm headed up next Thursday for a long weekend. How about you?

We just got back on Tuesday from a 5 day stay there, and I'm on call for work this weekend.
But I've emailed you my summer Ranch schedule, so maybe we can meet up sometime.
Good luck with your project. I already envy your toys!

/ AZ ranch
Getting ready for another trip to the ranch. I got new chaps for chain saw work. I got a QA for my L3400 and Gearmore forks. Also a new QA bucket, but it may not go this trip. I only have so much room in my pickup. Picked up a whirly vent at HD to install on my "container" garage. Lots of projects for a 5 day weekend. I'm sure they won't all get done. I'll take pictures when I get up there.