AZ ranch

/ AZ ranch
Beautiful property!!!

Just curious. What is the species of pine shown in your first photo?

Steve

Pinion pine in the first picture. They don't grow tall and straight like most pine, but more of a bushy type of tree. The other major tree species there is juniper. They are the ones with the twisted trunks. We like them. We were going to leave them completely alone as in the first picture, but a local told us to trim them around the base to keep down the rodent population, so we got to trimming immediately.

Attachments

• First trip to our ranch near Seligman 095.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 095.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 841
  • First trip to our ranch near Seligman 111.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 111.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 923
   / AZ ranch
Hello and welcome to Northern Arizona. I live in Flagsaff but grew up north of Willams in some of the same type of country where you are at. It is really a nice elevation, not too much snow but not scorching hot in the summer.

Do you know if there is water in that country to drill a well? I know around Williams people have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on drilling wells and never hit water. My family in Williams has hauled water as long as I can remember, kind of a pain but goes with the land.

We have a "shared well" on one of the vacant 40 acre parcels. It is at 5100 feet elevation and is about 450 feet deep. There are a couple other wells at that elevation that are producing also. There is no way to tell for sure if the water table is level in the area or not. If we drilled at 6100 feet, would we have to go down 1450 feet? Who knows, but it would cost about $25,000 to put in a well if it is that deep. Then again it may only require 250 feet. But at this point we can't afford to take that chance, so we will get two or three big tanks and fill them from the shared well. It is about 3 miles away by road (only 1.25 miles as the crow flies).
For the next 3 to 4 years we will only be here part-time as I have not retired yet. Before we move-in full-time we will reconsider the drilling.

/ AZ ranch
Here's a few more shots. The open area is where we will probably build the cabin.

Attachments

• First trip to our ranch near Seligman 007.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 007.jpg
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 1,123
  • First trip to our ranch near Seligman 013.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,068
  • First official trip to Seligman 020.jpg
    First official trip to Seligman 020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,004
   / AZ ranch
Oh yeah, here is my garage. I bought the tractor before we closed on the property and needed something for a garage for the tractor, the quad, and tools, so I bought this 40 ft container and had it hauled up there. Works real well. Instant garage. It holds my 12 ft quad trailer, the quad, and my tractor with FEL and back scraper on. If I pull the trailer out, I can get my tractor and my truck (Tacoma) in there.

Attachments

• First trip to our ranch near Seligman 144.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 144.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 1,003
  • First trip to our ranch near Seligman 070.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 070.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 798
  • First trip to our ranch near Seligman 069.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 069.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 761
   / AZ ranch #15  
Looks like you are getting ready for a lot of fun and good memories. Look forward to watching what you are doing out there. When I have gone out West, I feel like I am home. Maybe one day!

/ AZ ranch
Sounds like fun!

I would consider putting in your well/power sooner than later. Make life easier while you are working and you going to spend the money eventually.

Nothing worse than working off a noisy generator if you ask me.

I'm not an expert in solar power (yet) :) but I understand that you want to have the amount of battery power that you will normally use. If we put a large system in now and only used it sporadically, then it is hard on the batteries. So we will start small with a system that will keep the basics in the trailer running, and use the generator for power tools, building, etc. We have a quiet 1000W that keeps the minimum items purring and a 5000W for when we want to use the microwave or tools. I actually need to buy a 8000W in order to use the shared well.

See other post on the issue of drilling in the near future.

/ AZ ranch
Looks like you are getting ready for a lot of fun and good memories. Look forward to watching what you are doing out there. When I have gone out West, I feel like I am home. Maybe one day!

Yeah, this is a dream come true. We love the land, the area, and the people. We went to CA to visit grandkids last weekend and this week I'm in Jacksonville, FL for business. I'm having "withdrawals" already :D
The plan is for a 3 bedroom/2 bath log cabin and then keeping the trailer for a guest house. I'll be on the lookout for about 2 or 3 more quads so the grandkids can have fun when they visit.
Here's one of those junipers that died. It's still too pretty to cut down.

Attachments

• First trip to our ranch near Seligman 145.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 145.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 773
   / AZ ranch #18  
Really nice place to continue a dream.

Beautiful country there. My oldest son lives in Phoenix, and I have an Aunt and Uncle that live just SE of you, very nice country. The Petrified forest was tops over the Grand Canyon to me. Love finding the Indian paintings and drawings on the rocks in that country too.

Wish you the best

One other thought. I noticed solar was a big thing there, are you considering it? I actually priced it with a company in AZ a few years ago, almost fell over when I got the quote!

/ AZ ranch
Really nice place to continue a dream.

Beautiful country there. My oldest son lives in Phoenix, and I have an Aunt and Uncle that live just SE of you, very nice country. The Petrified forest was tops over the Grand Canyon to me. Love finding the Indian paintings and drawings on the rocks in that country too.

Wish you the best

One other thought. I noticed solar was a big thing there, are you considering it? I actually priced it with a company in AZ a few years ago, almost fell over when I got the quote!

Thanks! We are going to do solar for sure, but it won't be one of those 20 X 40 ft boards that will run A/C and dryers and all. It will be for the basics, and we will use a generator if and when we need A/C. And I will build my own system, buying parts independently, instead of having something installed.
Refrigerator and dryer will be propane, as will be the stove. A propane water heater will be a backup to solar hot water. Wood-burning stove will be primary source of heat.

/ AZ ranch
First thing I did was have a septic tank installed (after buying my tractor of course).

As we were putting in the septic system, I couldn't help but think of these pictures. Three years ago we did a mission trip to Tanzania, Africa and here was a typical restroom. I love Africa, but I really love the good old USA! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,027
  • IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,113