new slab seal or not

/ new slab seal or not #1  

toyocruiser

I just finished pouring a 60'X60' slab.
It was power troweled to a very smooth finish.
Will build a 40'X60' shop with a 20'X60' lean to.
Am trying to decide whether to seal all, part, or none of it.
The purpose of the slab is to be a shop, but the wife and I will live in 1/2 of it while we save enough to pay for a house to be built. Timeframe 2-3 years.
Appreciate any info and recomendations.

toyocruiser

/ new slab seal or not #2  
I'd at least seal the part you are going to live in unless you plan on putting down some type of floor covering. Concrete is a porous material and you might get dampness if not sealed. Be sure it is cured enough before you seal it however. Actually concrete continues to cure for a VERY long time.

/ new slab seal or not #3  
If you don't seal it, you will have a lot of cement dust to contend with. But if you seal it, it might be kind of slippery if it gets wet.

/ new slab seal or not #5  
NOoooooooo!!! You don't need to "seal " it, you need to put a coating on it. The new Polyureas are awesome for durability. Car tires won't damage it and it will hold up to solvents.

Yeah it will cost, but will last a lifetime or more. If you are planning to move, then maybe you don't want to, but otherwise, you can't go wrong. Here is a local place, there must be similar near you, and don't take the "epoxy is just as good... story":
Polyurea Floor Coatings, Polyaspartic Finishing Systems, Garage Floors

/ new slab seal or not #7  
I just finished pouring a 60'X60' slab.
It was power troweled to a very smooth finish.
Will build a 40'X60' shop with a 20'X60' lean to.
Am trying to decide whether to seal all, part, or none of it.
The purpose of the slab is to be a shop, but the wife and I will live in 1/2 of it while we save enough to pay for a house to be built. Timeframe 2-3 years.
Appreciate any info and recomendations.

toyocruiser
If you ever intend to put a flooring layment on top of the concrete that will not bond to sealer, such as an epoxy cover, a mud mat for tile, or glue for engineered wood, then do not seal it unless you want to acid-etch the sealer off or scarify it off. Most adhesive and / or bonding type installs will not bond to a sealer (or in most cases).

A surface sealer does very little for moisture or dust control. It makes the floor shiny for a while but then does little of anything further.

/ new slab seal or not #8  
I have never sealed a concrete floor and have never had any problem.

The vapor barrier is the plastic sheet you put over the gravel before you poured.

A layer of goop on top of the concrete will only make it slippery when wet.

/ new slab seal or not #9  
Use a cure and seal. It helps your expensive 'crete cure properly and makes for a nice sweeping. You said thet you troweled it smooth so that will be as slippery when wet. (as the sealer)

/ new slab seal or not #10