Metal Building

/ Metal Building #1  

fbson395

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota L245DT Craftsman YS4500
Could use some advise as to the purchase price and what to LOOK OUT for on the buying of a 30X40X12 metal building. I have one Quote so far for 15K for the building and 9,800 to put it up. The cement floor and footings 7k. What do you TBN's have to say, is that priced about right? How hard would it be to put up on my own? Just had a knee replacement and not sure I could handle this project just yet. Thanks in advance.

/ Metal Building #2  
I built my 40x40x10 on my own. The frame goes up in 1 weekend with a rented forklift (small telehandler style). I was dried in after 2 weeks of nights and weekends. I had good help from friends and family. The work involves lots of climbing ladders and/or scaffolding. Putting insulation under the panels pays off but it requires some extra hands. I felt like mine went together well.

I got a roll-up door and wish I'd gone with a regular garage-style door since they seal much better.

/ Metal Building #3  
Could use some advise as to the purchase price and what to LOOK OUT for on the buying of a 30X40X12 metal building. I have one Quote so far for 15K for the building and 9,800 to put it up. The cement floor and footings 7k. What do you TBN's have to say, is that priced about right? How hard would it be to put up on my own? Just had a knee replacement and not sure I could handle this project just yet. Thanks in advance.

The labor seems extremely high to me, the building so-so. Since you are in California the cost are higher.

Just for reference for you, quotes I got 6 months ago for the exact same size.

These are for "weld up" buildings, thats where you order the building and it is delivered and you build it. comes with everything but the floor:thumbsup:

Mueller Steel buildings $8200 engineered building design
Metal Mart $8400 engineered building design

These bids where for one personnel door and a 12'x14' opening, I'm building my own double doors. (The quote also is for the material to build my doors.)

I think you could find enough help, maybe an unemployed framer or even retired, that could help you. If you could get a couple guys at say $15 hr for gen. labor, you'd likely have it almost done in 4 good day's.

My slab is 30x40 5" thick 12w"x16"d outside peers and a criss cross peers the same size. Since construction is slow here, I called 3 contractors to "negotiate" and I got it done for $3.50 sq. ft. $4200 turn key..(less pad prep)

I think where you can save the most is the labor, big time.
When pricing it may be cheaper to have a building shipped to you (out of state), don't know but worth checking on.

Mueller, Inc. - Steel Buildings
Metal Mart | Welcome

/ Metal Building #4  

i bought a 31x 52 metal building.. had it made taller to accept large implements and trailers.. think it's likely got a clearance span under the metal rafters of 15'

no concrete..

8500$ and they drove here from n georgia, put it up in a day and left. that was for the material and labor.

I had 34 hurricane diedowns included into that price ( 17 each side ) as well as extra trussing for support. is hurricane rated for 120mph. is open on the 2 ends, and is otherwise metal on the sides and top.

I flattened the area for it to be erected with my box blade, measured off where I wanted the corners, marked then with paint and stakes with tape.. then got out of the way for the workes to put it up.

3 guys showed up in a crew cab dually and a long trailer.. they had my building and 2 smaller ones on board.. I provided electric.. had I not, it was another 100$ charge to use their genny... they had their own tools and all.. and cleaned up after themselves. showed up at 7am, left by 2pm.. they worked like ants ...

love it..

soundguy

/ Metal Building
Thanks for the leads on some buildings. I checked out Blitz and Mueller. They do not send their products out this way. I need to do more homework on this project. Thanks Guys
Bill

/ Metal Building #7  
I have put a pad down for a 30' X 40' building and gotten 3 prices for (2) 10' doors, a walk in door, 2 windows and vinyl sheathed insulation. The prices include a 5" slab on my pad. A pole barn was $18,500, a building with steel trusses and spanned with 2x6s was $18,800 (both 29 gauge steel) and a full steel with 26 gauge was $26,500.

I'm in Mississippi so prices should be lower here. Not to hi-jack this thread, but is a full steel building and 26 gauge steel worth a 40% premium over the steel truss and wood connectors?

Thanks for any comments.
Gene

/ Metal Building
Gene, Thanks for the information. What I have so far is $15,900 for the 26 gauge building with 1 12 x10 door and walk in door 1 window and fully insulated.The roof pitch at 5/12. He wants $9,800 to put it up I think that is a bit high. Also That does not include the cement pad or any electric.I have a price of $7,000 for the pad. what do you think of these prices? I'm still waiting for a approval from our CC&R people.
Bill

/ Metal Building #9  
I paid about $15,500 for my 30x40x10 installed and just had a quote for a pad for $7000. My barn's pretty basic with 1 10' sliding door and a man door, no windows or insul.

/ Metal Building #10  
My shop is a 24x42 ft metal building with 12 ft walls, two 10x10 ft rollup doors, one window, one man door. Cost: $16K installed (in Jun05). Floor is 6" thick 4000 psi concrete, #4 rebar on 24" centers with 10x25 ft concrete apron in front of the two big doors. Cost: $7K.

Shop-finished-1.jpgShop slab-1.jpg