New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
The framers have begun putting the soffit ladders up and completed all of the bracing for the trusses. They stopped a little early as they did not want to start putting up the roof sheathing and have it be a big sail with 40-50 mph gusts tonight and tomorrow. Still good progress going on.

/ New Home Begins #342  
Very exciting to see your pics and how nice it's looking.

Eddie

/ New Home Begins
The weather continues to be ... well ... a PITA. At least the precipitation is happening at night and leaves the days ok.

The sheathing and roof sheathing for the trusses is all complete. They are now doing the gable ends for the great room. The rough sawn timbers for the great room rafters have arrived. The crane arrives tomorrow late in the morning to set the rafters. From this point on until the sheeting is done completely, the great room will be tarped to keep from getting water stains on the rafters and T&G that will be put up.

Here are the timbers for the rafters, collar ties and ridge beams.

P1020705.jpg P1020706.jpg P1020707.jpg

Here is the progress over the last few days.

P1020703.jpg P1020704.jpg P1020708.jpg P1020710.jpg P1020712.jpg P1020713.jpg P1020714.jpg

/ New Home Begins
The weather continues to be ... well ... a PITA. At least the precipitation is happening at night and leaves the days ok.

The sheathing and roof sheathing for the trusses is all complete. They are now doing the gable ends for the great room. The rough sawn timbers for the great room rafters have arrived. The crane arrives tomorrow late in the morning to set the rafters. From this point on until the sheeting is done completely, the great room will be tarped to keep from getting water stains on the rafters and T&G that will be put up.

View attachment 301531 View attachment 301532 View attachment 301533

Here is the progress over the last few days.

View attachment 301534 View attachment 301535 View attachment 301536 View attachment 301537 View attachment 301538 View attachment 301539 View attachment 301540

/ New Home Begins #345  
Hey! It's starting to look like a house. The weather has been a PITA for sure, and maybe more this weekend. Glad to see progress is being made. Thanks for posting the updated pics.

/ New Home Begins #346  

View attachment 301531 View attachment 301532 View attachment 301533
What kind of wood are your timbers for your great room? How big are they? They look pretty big. I would like to use timbers like yours in the renovation of my big barn. I have read other threads about having to have wood graded. Did you have to have these beams graded to get past the building inspectors? Looking forward to seeing pictures of the great room. I have been following your job with great interest. Looking great. Rick

/ New Home Begins
What kind of wood are your timbers for your great room? How big are they? They look pretty big. I would like to use timbers like yours in the renovation of my big barn. I have read other threads about having to have wood graded. Did you have to have these beams graded to get past the building inspectors? Looking forward to seeing pictures of the great room. I have been following your job with great interest. Looking great. Rick

The ridge is a full 6 x 16, the rafters are a full 6 x 12 and the collar ties are a full 6 x 6. They are recycled high tension poles by the utilities and have some checks, marks and a drill hole or two from the utilities' attachment points. Some were over 2' in diameter. They are western red cedar and were NOT graded. The structural engineer did all of the load calculations based on not being able to have them graded. In fact, the ridge beam was not even in the original architect drawings but we added it for aesthetic purposes. The 6x16s were $21 per linear foot.

/ New Home Begins #348  
Is there going to be a flat valley between ridges when you roof the great room?

Eddie

/ New Home Begins #349  
Is there going to be a flat valley between ridges when you roof the great room?

Eddie