New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Yes!!! The heavy timbers for the great room went up today. Western Red Cedar. The ridge was not needed per the structural engineer but we wanted it for aesthetic reasons. It would have been easier to have a single 24' 7" ridge but since they are recycled, they could not get 6x16 from a single pole. As a result, they needed to put up temporary supports in the middle.

The steel plates will get bolted on later. Right now, they want to get the T&G we stained up on top and tarp it before Friday's Nor'easter that is supposed to be coming our way. We are on the rain/snow line so who knows what we will get. We want to tarp it so we do not get water stains on the rafters/beams or T&G.

P1020716.jpg P1020718.jpg P1020721.jpg P1020723.jpg P1020726.jpg P1020727.jpg P1020730.jpg P1020734.jpg P1020735.jpg P1020736.jpg P1020737.jpg P1020738.jpg

/ New Home Begins
Your great room is going to be nice. Those beams look great. You will have a busy day tomorrow. Rick

Rick, I won't have a busy day. The framer's will. :D I will show them the farm up the road where we stained the T&G and they will bring it back to put up.
I go to a warm office.

/ New Home Begins #354  
Rick, I won't have a busy day. The framer's will. :D I will show them the farm up the road where we stained the T&G and they will bring it back to put up.
I go to a warm office.
True, but I bet that at the end of the day you will be out there to check to make sure that the tarp is all tied down good so that your wood will not get wet overnight when this storm comes through. Rick

/ New Home Begins
We were holding our breath to see how the T&G would look. We had a vision but you never know until you see it. What do you think? They will finish it up after the nor'easter passes tomorrow. In the meantime, it is well tarped.

P1020739.jpg P1020740.jpg P1020741.jpg P1020742.jpg P1020743.jpg P1020745.jpg P1020746.jpg P1020747.jpg

/ New Home Begins #358  
Looks good to me. It is pulled together good, and it appears they were careful handling it.

I didn't realize your t&g was going above the exposed beams. That is a nice effect and wood adds warmth to a room. For me, it is one of those timeless design elements, it always looks good.

/ New Home Begins #359  
The T&G and beams look great, this is the look I want for a 24x24 addition on my home. How will you insulate and finish the roof? What is your roof pitch, and how will you deal with the splice of the two ridge beams. You have done a great job with the photo's and the home.

Dave

/ New Home Begins #360  
If this question has been answered before, please excuse my brain fart for not recalling the post. Will there be some sort of caulking or other sealing on the roof deck side of the T & G boards?