New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins #371  
The 6x12 rafters are 48" on center. The panels do run horizontal, spanning them and staggered to provide the structural support. Purlins will run vertically perpendicular to the panels.

Thanks, I can picture it now. Are you getting much snow from the storm, or is it mostly off to your northeast?

/ New Home Begins
Thanks, I can picture it now. Are you getting much snow from the storm, or is it mostly off to your northeast?

We lucked out. The rain was not as hard or much as the weather heads were scaring everyone into. The winds were less too. We only got less than 3" of snow. I have not been to the property yet, and will be heading over there shortly.

/ New Home Begins
Beautiful morning at the property. Snowfall not too bad. Got some seat time in moving the trash lumber from the garage so we can begin backfilling there this week.

P1020748.jpg P1020756.jpg P1020757.jpg P1020758.jpg P1020759.jpg P1020761.jpg P1020762.jpg

/ New Home Begins #374  
I love the look of the T&G ceiling.

Obed

/ New Home Begins
Rain and snow on Friday and Monday, so no progress until today. The rafter to ridge plates are all in and more than half of the collar tie plates are done. The rafter plates were a real pain since all four plates are through bolted to each other and the rafters are rough cut, so they are slightly different sizes so the alignment is really touchy.

When they finished the plates, they completed the T&G and started on the Raycore roof panels. In the first pictures below, you can see the panels on edge over the T&G (the gap, over the rafter. Other pictures show the 4 mil poly over the T&G and the panels over that. Nine 9" timberlok's go through each panel (3 per embedded stud), through the T&G and into the rafter.

Tomorrow, they will finish the panels and then the tarp goes on again as ... you guessed it ... more rain and snow tomorrow night.

P1020764.jpg P1020763.jpg

P1020765.jpg P1020770.jpg P1020774.jpg P1020776.jpg P1020778.jpg P1020780.jpg

This one shows the studs embedded in the panels.
P1020785.jpg

/ New Home Begins #376  
Interesting. Will there be a layer of foam over the top of that? Otherwise those studs in the roof panels will be a major thermal bridge. I will be very curious to see how this system works.

I love the looks of the inside! That is really nice!

/ New Home Begins
Interesting. Will there be a layer of foam over the top of that? Otherwise those studs in the roof panels will be a major thermal bridge. I will be very curious to see how this system works.

I love the looks of the inside! That is really nice!

No, there won't be another layer of foam. Yes, i understand the thermal bridging, but it is still far better than a typical attic with stapled up R30 or insufficient or matted down blown in insulation.

/ New Home Begins #378  
Tom, your use of beams and tongue and groove look very familiar to me. I also used foam panels on my roof, but they were not Raycore. For my roof over the T&G, they put OSB sheathing, then traditional felt before laying in the foam. The foam was covered with another layer of OSB and then another felt layer before putting steel roofing U-panels over that. I have had no problems with moisture, condensation, or leaks on my roof. The insulating factor of the foam over T&G seems very good. Attached is a photo of my great room.

Attachments

• inside3.JPG
    inside3.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 264
   / New Home Begins #379  
When they finished the plates, they completed the T&G and started on the Raycore roof panels. [/ATTACH]

tkappeler, will the installers use any type of spray foam (such as Great Stuff) between the Raycore panels to fill in any gaps, if needed?

/ New Home Begins
Tom, your use of beams and tongue and groove look very familiar to me. I also used foam panels on my roof, but they were not Raycore. For my roof over the T&G, they put OSB sheathing, then traditional felt before laying in the foam. The foam was covered with another layer of OSB and then another felt layer before putting steel roofing U-panels over that. I have had no problems with moisture, condensation, or leaks on my roof. The insulating factor of the foam over T&G seems very good. Attached is a photo of my great room.

That looks great!! I wish I could have done a standing seam metal roof but it was just too expensive. About 40% more not counting the lumber for the purlins.