Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for?

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for? #11  
I hope the poplar boards are for the shed and not fence, poplar is a soft wood and is a wood that rots quickly. Easy for the horse to chew as well. Oak would be a much better choice.

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for? #12  
I used 10' gates to match my 10' pipe fence sections. I have a 8' arena drag on the 3PT and it clears OK. What is a little tougher is moving round bales with the FEL. It is hard, especially at night, to see around the bale and hit the open spot until I am right up to the gate. Driving the pickup with the round bale trailer in without pulling in the camper mirrors takes a straight shot also. In the future I will go with a 12' gates.

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for? #13  
I had 2 12'X12' sheds built to match my stables, spent $6000 for both. Metal frame 13' high in front, 10' high in back, metal on the outside, 2"x8" pressure treated T&G on the inside 8' high. In the 2 years since they were built I can count on 1 hand how many times I have seen a horse in one. They would rather stand in the rain and graze. But the wife is happy and that's a good thing.

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for? #14  
I had 2 12'X12' sheds built to match my stables, spent $6000 for both. Metal frame 13' high in front, 10' high in back, metal on the outside, 2"x8" pressure treated T&G on the inside 8' high. In the 2 years since they were built I can count on 1 hand how many times I have seen a horse in one. They would rather stand in the rain and graze. But the wife is happy and that's a good thing.

Agree. Nothing like going out in a thunderstorm, herding horses to the barn, past the run-in.

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for?
I hope the poplar boards are for the shed and not fence, poplar is a soft wood and is a wood that rots quickly. Easy for the horse to chew as well. Oak would be a much better choice.

Ed,

They are MUCH better looking, they are pressure treated, and solid with very few knots. they are straighter, and more uniform, and in the 13-14months I've had them, flawless.

They also are about $2 per board less cost.

Thanks,
David

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for? #16  
I made 4' walk through gates into my paddock area. I planed down some poplar stock I had, and treated it heavily with Thompson's water seal when new. That was in 2002, and still in good shape, although weathered looking.

Around here, most of the old pin barns had poplar siding, treated with linseed oil. Many are standing in decent shape today.

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for? #17  
Ed,

They are MUCH better looking, they are pressure treated, and solid with very few knots. they are straighter, and more uniform, and in the 13-14months I've had them, flawless.

They also are about $2 per board less cost.

Thanks,
David

I understand, hope nothing but good, and the treated makes all the differense.

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for? #18  
<snip>
Is there a decent sattelite photo place where I can go get a shot of my property to show you guys to help make it all sense?

Thanks again,

Yes I am listening.

David
Unless you can get some assets reallocated perhaps your best bet is Bing.

bing-wl.jpg
An example of my house and shops in Mississippi.

/ Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for? #19  
   / Building Horse Fence & Run-in shed in the Winter in VA? What to look out for?
OK, OK, Ok....

Some of the arguement for larger gates makes sense, y'all have pretty much convinced me I need to put 12' gates at the wye and at the far south pasture for access.

I am considering HARD making the 40' x 40' holding pasture where the Run-in shed will be either 42' or 44' square by going to 10'-12' gates in each side...

SO YOU MUST NOW ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!!!!

On my current 12' main gate, I use a wheel at the end of the gate to keep it from sagging. this also requires some levelling of the gate swing area so the wheel touches the ground in most spots, etc. This adds cost to each gate, but it also extends the life of the gate.

SO do you put a wheel on the end of you 12' gates, or do your gates simply not sag, or ????

I'm MUCH less worried about an 8' gate than I am a 12'.

I am leaning towards 10' gates on the run-in pasture and hoping they might not need the wheels...

Those are my current questions.

Thanks again,
Be well,
David