Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,061  
Builder,
This is all you get... It is time to grill burgers again.
Vertical with keystone, Vertical without keystone.
My favorite.... Lights but nothing above door.
Ron

Thanks Ron for the help atleast now Peter knows what i was getting at. Peter remember one thing. No matter how hard you try once you are finished there is always something you would of liked to of done different. Have fun with the rest of the build. I do agree with Ron in the very least you should have lights on each side.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,062  
Definitely liking the lights, Ron, great idea. :thumbsup:

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,063  
There will be lights on both sides. Wires have already been run and tied in with the lights at the main door.

Met with the builder and he will spent tomorrow redoing the front corners of the garage to accommodate only running the rock up to the height of the block walls. Will take some doing as everything was brought out to accommodate the thickness of the rock, but he'll make it happen. Painters didn't show up today, and builder is going to call them tell them to hold off coming tomorrow as well until they get the hardy completed at the front of the garage.

Ok, that is it for changes to the exterior! :D

Insulation is done inside and passed inspection along with electrical. Ditches for power will be dug tomorrow and power company is coming Thursday to put in the service. So we should have power by COB Thursday!

Last edited:
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,064  

f45c11e7.gif

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,065  
There will be lights on both sides. Wires have already been run and tied in with the lights at the main door.

Met with the builder and he will spent tomorrow redoing the front corners of the garage to accommodate only running the rock up to the height of the block walls. Will take some doing as everything was brought out to accommodate the thickness of the rock, but he'll make it happen. Painters didn't show up today, and builder is going to call them tell them to hold off coming tomorrow as well until they get the hardy completed at the front of the garage.

Insulation is done inside and passed inspection along with electrical. Ditches for power will be dug tomorrow and power company is coming Thursday to put in the service. So we should have power by COB Thursday!

Sounds good. I know it pained you but I think most folks here agree that you made a wise choice. What do you have as far as an allowance for the garage door and has it been ordered yet? That is the only remaining exterior detail I can think of.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,066  

Peter,
If the plasterboard isn't on the flat ceiling rooms yet, you might want to nail a couple electric boxes high on some roof trusses and run a wire between them and over to where the hatch will be in the garage ceiling. I would imagine there will be a hatch in the garage near the mudroom door. The insulation guy has to get in with his hoses and back out. You can put a toggle switch box on the side of a truss next to and above the hatch. You can still probably get to a hot easily in a box in the mudroom and run it up to the toggle switch box. That way you can put a couple cheap ceramic light bulb sockets with bulbs or hang a couple fluorescent tubes up there and have a switch to control them right above the hatch.
Sooner or later you are going to need to go up there and look for a loose HVAC run connections, a mouse, bugs, leak, cause of ice damming or whatever. Having some light up there while your trying to find a truss to stand on buried under 16" of cellulose is a lot easier than trying to see with a flashlight held in your teeth.
You can do it after the contractor is all done but it will be a lot easier now since it can all be done from a ladder on the main floor.
Ron

#1,067  
Sounds good. I know it pained you but I think most folks here agree that you made a wise choice. What do you have as far as an allowance for the garage door and has it been ordered yet? That is the only remaining exterior detail I can think of.
-Stu
Not sure if it has been ordered yet, but what we picked was a Wayne-Dalton 9100 series with the contemporary panels and R9 insulation, no glass in the top panel, almond color (I think, could have been Taupe or Desert Tan), check with builder now.

Steel Garage Door Model 9100 & 9600

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,068  
Not sure if it has been ordered yet, but what we picked was a Wayne-Dalton 9100 series with the contemporary panels and R9 insulation, no glass in the top panel, almond color (I think, could have been Taupe or Desert Tan), check with builder now.

Steel Garage Door Model 9100 & 9600

Hrm, if I understand correctly, it is very much a plain door with no glass in it at all - sort of like your shop doors - but of much higher quality. Now that you have opted to go without the full stone veneer fascia, do you think it may make sense to modify the garage door to have a top panel with glass in it in order to "spruce it up"?

Rendering freaks - can one of you change your models and show us both with and without? You must be waiting on something to render!!!
-Stu

#1,069  
Stu, looking at the glass options, the one that mom would like I think, would be "Clear II", but to get that, we have to step up to the 9600 series door.

2nd choice would be "Clear I".

Would be cool to see rendering of each of those. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,070  
The plain, window-less OHD looks pretty bland IMO. :laughing: I am sure Peter is tired of this, I would be. But, as someone hinted, the plain door is not the "best foot forward" as one approaches the house.