Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,081  
If I had to do it all over I would stick with propane hot water and a electric heat pump with propane backup instead of electric.

This allows you to run a much smaller generator in power outages by throwing the breaker to the heat pump and letting it go into backup heat, ie propane.

Chris

Lots of pros and cons to consider.
Cost of tanks and life expectancy?--average 10 yrs
Costs of fuels over time span vs convenience? --varies with region
Real necessity?-- a good tank will still provide a decent shower after 4 days with careful management (ration during outages, boil on stove for small usage (dishes, hand washing etc and wait to do laundry etc) sponge bathe vs shower for a few days.
We are talking EMERGENCY here, not luxury.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,082  
One more question should do it for me today. I have things I must accomplish here. Making hay is fast approaching.

I have never noticed any "X" cross bracing between the floor joists in any of your basement shots.
They may have told you that they glued and screwed the subfloor down so it is not needed.
But... You want a totally stable floor since you are going to tile most of it.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,083  
I agree with Ron on the turn around location. I thought it odd that the parking area was going in front of the patio too. Since Ron can be blamed for opening this can of worms, I will chime in. :laughing:

I don't think it is an enhancement visually, and asphalt generates/stores heat in the summer. It's not what I would want to look at over the patio wall given any choice.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,084  
Peter,
Last week it was 40 degrees here. For the past 2 days it has been 84-86 degrees. Summer has arrived here too, it would seem. The weather alert radio is going crazy
so I better get this done.
While working outside today, I remembered you have 2 x 6 studs so that with trim, plasterboard, sheathing, etc. is going to set your garage door face back in 7-8 inches?
What I posted last night without the set back made the door too prominent as a result and unrealistic.
I changed to another door which shows more setback a bit ago and cleaned up some areas you had missed in your stone paste up.
I am attaching some screen captures that show the layers on the right that I added and what they do.
For example, turning off the layer with the garage door reveals what is in the image behind it. Same goes for all the other layers. If I turn them all off
temporarily, your image that I started with is fully revealed since it is on the bottom of the sandwich of layers.
This is what I was trying to explain the other day about using layers.
This is not CAD software and has nothing to do with CAD, just photo editing software.
There used to be a saying that, "photos don"t lie." That has never really been the case but with digital editing these days you can see that is not true.
I'll attach the real full size image of this in the next or later post. I think they limit how many photos can be added per post.
Ron

Last edited:
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,085  
Here's the real image without all the gobbldy-gook info beside it. You will see all the background in this one, if your screen is big enough. If not open it full and scroll.
Since the contractor is getting behind, this may present a preview of whats to come:confused:
There goes the weather alert radio again. This may be a long night:eek:
Who likes it this way?
I do for 1..
Ron

Last edited:
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,086  
:thumbsup:Ron, nice stuff. Have you considered using a site like photbucket to upload/host your images? Once you upload them to an image hosting site (free), you can then get the "links" to post your stuff as "full size pics" within posts. It's much easier on everyone's eye's/mice, if you haven't tried it.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing As a software guru, you'll get it pretty much instantaneously.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,087  
The downside is, that it takes some rigamorale to generate images/save images/upload images/get links to images/post images. :laughing:

But, like anything else, once ya get used to it, the pain is minimal. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,088  
If you open all the 4 pics above in separate tabs in your browser, you can click back and forth and animate the garage door and other goodies.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,089  
If you post them all "full size" within your post, none of that is required.
deerpopcorn_zpsf8ceca28.gif

Hope ya know, I'm just having a bit 'o fun with you, (Super) Ron. :D

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,090  
The downside is, that it takes some rigamorale to generate images/save images/upload images/get links to images/post images. :laughing:

But, like anything else, once ya get used to it, the pain is minimal. :D

Jay,
These are just copies of Pete's image. I did not change his image size. What I'm saying about viewing the image full size applies to what he posts as well if the "lookers" are using a browser window narrower than 1280 pixels. Even with the short wide monitors popular today a lot of folks leave so many rows of control menus on at the top that there isn't much real estate left for the images. I even have a problem with that on a 17" laptop. I use a big desktop monitor and pc. for any serious photo editing. Working in 16 bit RAW with high resolution images is my normal game, so I need all the space I can get.
I do use the bucket and dropbox for large image transfers. I live in the country where the phone lines are ancient copper and controlled by mice nests in the boxes all along the way. I use satellite for my internet and it is nothing to win any races with.
But you can't beat country living, IMO:rolleyes: and I grew up and worked as a city boy.
Ron