Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,591  
I like the terrace at your Mom's house and wonder why not duplicate it at the new place? Like the fireplace, but not so much love for the green wall. But, hey, that's just me. I especially like the terraced steps at your Mom's old house. Do that!!!

mkane09

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,592  
Peter:

Cool shot with Tasca in it - she is a big girl now so your mom must be spoiling her. The rail detail is incredible and I love that look. Thanks to whoever it was back on an early post with that idea. As for the chimney height, I think code in VA dictates that it be something like 2' about the ridgeline of the roof. I am sure somebody here will correct me if I am wrong. It is hard to tell if that is the reason for the extension or not given the position your photos were taken from.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,593  
Btw, the 1800 lbs added in the rear tires really makes a difference. I'll have to re-learn the limits all over again now. :D

I only had to engage 4 wheel drive a few times when loading multiple logs onto the trailer today, and that was only because I sensed a slight bit of slippage on the wet ground. But even more impressive, I picked up large stumps, probably close to 2000 lbs each, and I was able to drive down a steep incline with them and drop on a burn pile with a much greater sense of stability than before.

Peter,
You still want to be real cautious about going parallel on much of a hill slope. Beet juice/Rimguard is about 30% heavier than water, Calcium Chloride 40% heavier.
Washer fluid about the same as water. That is what they used on my latest tractor and filled the wide agricultural radials about 3/4 full. That means going sideways on a hill the tires get even more liquid
on the low side above the axles. I still don't feel as secure this way as I do with my old tractor that is only filled 1/2 way with calcium chloride. Some will be above the axle going sideways on a hill but not near as much. I can feel the difference in stability with the same Woods mower as you have between the two tractors. So I go slower and in 4WD on the bigger tractor on the same slopes.

I don't know how high they fill when using Rimguard, but I thought you said 3/4.
You will be able to tell in certain weather conditions because the tires will sweat really wet, on the outside, up to the liquid height inside them.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,594  
Pete, I'm curious how the railing posts are attached to the back deck? Do you have a close up picture?
Your mom should enjoy the place. How far do you live from her new place?
Obed

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,595  
I like the terrace at your Mom's house and wonder why not duplicate it at the new place? Like the fireplace, but not so much love for the green wall. But, hey, that's just me. I especially like the terraced steps at your Mom's old house. Do that!!!

mkane09

Big difference at his mom's old place is a more gradual slope on the side with the steps. They only hav to lower the elevation by 4 feet, then are on a shelf with a few steps going up to the deck.
The new house looks even more steep than the other side of the old house that has the AC compressors. You see it has to be stepped in 18" risers.
I'm thinking it would be easier/better to put a short set of a few steps down from the side near the main bedroom sliding door. The ground from there is a lot more gentle down and around to the pad under the deck. It might only need a walkway or some 6" riser steps made from the 6x6 square cuts.
The steepness of the other side still needs to be dealt with from a maintenance standpoint but at least the stair type she likes is more doable on the bedroom side.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,596  
Peter:

Cool shot with Tasca in it - she is a big girl now so your mom must be spoiling her. The rail detail is incredible and I love that look. Thanks to whoever it was back on an early post with that idea. As for the chimney height, I think code in VA dictates that it be something like 2' about the ridgeline of the roof. I am sure somebody here will correct me if I am wrong. It is hard to tell if that is the reason for the extension or not given the position your photos were taken from.
-Stu

The 2 feet above the ridge is the minimum standard about everywhere. It is for draft, so if it is a wood fireplace the smoke exits easily. If it is gas the same applies for the waste gases and moisture.
One of my boys is a masonry contractor and they always make the chimneys at least 2 feet above the ridge. Sometimes even higher depending on the side of the house and the prevailing wind.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,597  
Here's a picture of our chimney and chimney cap.

IMG_0045.JPG

If your chimney cap needs to be that high, I would for certain make the contractor raise the height of the chimney the reach the chimney cap. You would need to do that before they start putting the siding on the chimney. Your chimney looks a little strange that way the cap was installed. I would also be concerned about the potential of high winds damaging the chimney pipe and cap.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,598  
Peter,
You still want to be real cautious about going parallel on much of a hill slope. Beet juice/Rimguard is about 30% heavier than water, Calcium Chloride 40% heavier.
Ron

I really did not and do not understand what you are saying. I just got off the horn with the fat bastard's dad who has run a backhoe for over 40 years now. Having the extra weight in the tires tends to lower the center of gravity thus making less likely to roll over than without it.

He did give me these tips. Firstly, he recommends using it in all 4 tires, not just the rears. To fill the tires, take them off the tractor, lay them flat on the ground, let the air out, break one side of the bead. Then fill the tire with antifreeze and water and 2 bottles of Stop Leak (yea the stuff used in radiators). Lastly, add air to get to the desired pressure. The reason for the Stop Leak is that you can run a nail or screw into the tire and it will seal itself.

Dunno if any of that is news to you guys or not so I will shut up and listen.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,599  
Oh forgot to mention this. On one of his projects, the fat bastard's dad was excavating I81. Due to the hilly nature and potential for rollover, they filled the tires with powdered lead. Each rear tire/wheel weighed about 2000 lbs.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,600  
Ron,

I like the terracing also. Is it posible to show drive way instead of the grass to include the terracing. Planning a walkout scenario but with a lower level drive way for summer usage.

Thanks

idaho2

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind.
Ron