Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,601  
I really did not and do not understand what you are saying. I just got off the horn with the fat bastard's dad who has run a backhoe for over 40 years now. Having the extra weight in the tires tends to lower the center of gravity thus making less likely to roll over than without it.
-Stu

Stu,
See the attached diagram.
Besides the water being higher in the tires on a slope it is trying to stand still in a rotating enclosure which causes cavitation/sloshing ..

When the fat bastards dad gets in a situation where he has to have his backhoe sitting on the side of a hill while digging a ditch or hole he adjust the hydraulic feet/pads to make his tractor more supported on the downhill side and is very careful how far out he reaches with the backhoe bucket and where he swings it to dump the load. The tractor is not in forward or reverse motion and the FEL bucket is normally down on the ground giving more stability than the front tires do, when in motion. The backhoe adds considerable weight to the rear of the tractor, itself, compared to a mower or baler.
Different situations...

I thought you were the guy that promoted ROPS and understood the principles behind them.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,602  
The 2 feet above the ridge is the minimum standard about everywhere. It is for draft, so if it is a wood fireplace the smoke exits easily. If it is gas the same applies for the waste gases and moisture.
One of my boys is a masonry contractor and they always make the chimneys at least 2 feet above the ridge. Sometimes even higher depending on the side of the house and the prevailing wind.
Ron

The diagram in the Virginia code shows the chimney top being 2 feet higher then a level line to the roof 10 feet away. This could be the ridge of the roof but in Peter case the chimney is at eave so that point should be below the ridge. If I lost you here is the link to the code. the diagram is on page 3. http://ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/free_resources/Virginia2009/09Residential/PDFs/Chapter%2010_Chimneys%20and%20Fireplaces.pdf
Rick

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,603  
I thought you were the guy that promoted ROPS and understood the principles behind them.
Ron

I do very much so for very good reasons as you know. I see your point now. If I understand correctly, as per your diagram, the wheel on the left side actually helps to promote rollover because of the angle. Seems like the "fuller" the tire the worse it gets. Guess that is why they used powdered lead (presumably filled to half or less) on the I81 construction. The weight would always be on the bottom.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,604  
Ron, that's exactly what is not really clear at this point. Mom is getting some suggestions/recommendations from various landscaping companies now. I suspect what we'll do is to put in some terraced landscaping posts (6x6) and then fill each step with pea gravel or similar stone. Underneath the deck where the slope is close to 45 degrees, I'm thinking a layer of thick plastic with a dual layer (to ensure the plastic below it is not visible) of river rock on top of it.

On the other side of the house, the plan is to put in terraced beds, again using 6x6 landscaping posts.

I'm certainly open to other suggestions. I'm going to take some pics of mom's current house to show how it is done there. One of the landscaping companies providing a bid, has done some of the work there over the years, and have a pretty good idea I think, of what mom is looking for.

Could you have a path going across the slope and then switch back to go back toward the house and the lower level. There could be steps in the path to keep it from eroding out and planting of bushes on the hillside between the paths. It might need some landscape timbers on the uphill side of the path to keep the dirt from sliding onto the path. The result might be a more gradual decent to the lower level then just having steps straight down the hill. Rick

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,605  
The diagram in the Virginia code shows the chimney top being 2 feet higher then a level line to the roof 10 feet away.
Rick

Yep, I am lost. Are you saying that the chimney need not exceed 2' above the ridge in Peter's case? Also, is the same true for gas fireplaces or is this wood only?
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,606  
Anyone remember where Peter talked about what was going into the media closet? Or maybe I just think he did LOL

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,607  
Anyone remember where Peter talked about what was going into the media closet? Or maybe I just think he did LOL
David

Well, if I know Peter (and I do) it will look something like this when he is done:
racks.jpg

I don't think he has decided upon the exact equipment for his mom's setup yet.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,608  
Well, if I know Peter (and I do) it will look something like this when he is done:

I don't think he has decided upon the exact equipment for his mom's setup yet.
-Stu

Thanks Stu

When I built, I ran my cables to a central location, but more like a junction box. Looking to improve the situation both for the coax and network cables.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,609  
When I built, I ran my cables to a central location, but more like a junction box. Looking to improve the situation both for the coax and network cables.
David

Yep, I ran 1" metal conduit in my house when I built my 3 room addition to each of the 3 rooms. I know Peter already has conduit run but I am not sure of the origination and termination points.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,610  
OK, here's a different idea for the exterior deck stairs...use a large 6' or 7' diameter spiral stair. It's not as obtrusive as a conventional stairway and can be tucked off in a corner of the deck. You can get these things in kits from a number of vendors and they have them in exterior grade as well. This eBay listing has a few pictures of spiral staircases used on a deck. The Spiral Staircase you have to see. on eBay! and more images https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=QgOCUcGTC6nlyQHa8IHADw

As for the terraces and steps idea, here are a couple of pictures of Lombard Street in San Francisco that may inspire some ideas. Yes, I have driven this street.
Lombard Street Picture