Moving a cargo container

/ Moving a cargo container #22  
I used a Simplex jack (10 ton version) to raise mine during the several times it has been moved. It has a foot on it that fits right up under the edge of the container and a few blocks later it is in the air. I would not use concrete blocks to sit it on, as the crush rate of them isn't all that great. Mine is sitting on pieces of good railroad crossties that I sawed to lengths of about two feet, but full lenghts could be used to avoid having to cut them. (crossties are nasty health hazards while cutting). You should have no problem moving it with your truck once you raise it up on poles. If there is any chance that it will get away from you (ie roll downhill), you might want to hook another vehicle to it at the other end to add braking abilities to the mix. A shorter chain hooked to the lower pockets will enable you to try to lift the front of the container, thereby adding traction to your wheels. Too long of chain takes away any tongue weight that you could use. Vary the chain length to see the results. David from jax

This thread is only 7 years old, so hopefully the container has already been moved...

Last edited:
   / Moving a cargo container #25  
Then you totally missed what 'Stroll' said back one page. :laughing:

Yes, totally missed the second page. Thanks! Not quite used to internet via telephone, but it sure makes my job a lot more bearable!
David from jax

/ Moving a cargo container #26  
Then you totally missed what 'Stroll' said back one page. :laughing:

And kudos to Stroll for adding to an existing thread rather than starting a new one.

Stroll - Check Harbor Freight for inexpensive bottle jacks. I've a couple and they seem to work well for years. I keep one in the house and one in the van.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=jack

I'd suggest you get one with twice the capacity you think you need now.

/ Moving a cargo container #27  
If it's empty, a farm jack will do it.

I totally agree high lift type jack
Jack it high on one end put a telephone pole under just a little over center let jack down shim the other end with the cribbing or blocks to the level you want raise the other end to the required level shim or block.

Moving it telephone pole rollers you need at least 3 9'ers 10' better
keep 2 under it at all times and work the one out of the back to front and keep on rolling if you have to turn put some english on rollers (angle them a little).

Just be careful when lowering high lift jacks some times they have been known to drop if the weight comes off them. When using them I recommend crib crib crib so it cant fall more than 2 or 3"

tom

/ Moving a cargo container #28  
Most reliable transporting companies deliver and even place your cargo right to the place, where you want to see it. At least, our company does it.

/ Moving a cargo container #29  
Hey guys, I know I'm reviving a dead thread, but I just need to lift my 40' cargo container, partially filled with random garage stuff, nothing too heavy like empty wood shelves etc. I purchased two hi-lift farm jacks, 8,000lb capacity each, dug a space to put a 2x12 at either corner of a single side, placed the jacks on the boards and in the corner holes and got nothing. The wood went down into the dirt just a little bit, but then after putting my full body weight on the jack handles, the container doesn't budge.

The container has been sitting still for about 7 months now, and I believe it has settled some -- could the dirt/mud around a slightly (1"?) sunken container be creating a problem? How can I solve this without heavy machinery? Is there an easier way than digging out all the way around? I have a lot of clay in my dirt and that will be exhausting!

How stupid of an idea is it to try to apply a "cheater" bar to the jacks? (I have an image in my head of shattering jacks and collapsing containers)

/ Moving a cargo container #30  
Hey guys, I know I'm reviving a dead thread, but I just need to lift my 40' cargo container, partially filled with random garage stuff, nothing too heavy like empty wood shelves etc. I purchased two hi-lift farm jacks, 8,000lb capacity each, dug a space to put a 2x12 at either corner of a single side, placed the jacks on the boards and in the corner holes and got nothing. The wood went down into the dirt just a little bit, but then after putting my full body weight on the jack handles, the container doesn't budge.

The container has been sitting still for about 7 months now, and I believe it has settled some -- could the dirt/mud around a slightly (1"?) sunken container be creating a problem? How can I solve this without heavy machinery? Is there an easier way than digging out all the way around? I have a lot of clay in my dirt and that will be exhausting!

How stupid of an idea is it to try to apply a "cheater" bar to the jacks? (I have an image in my head of shattering jacks and collapsing containers)
MasterSparky,
Last time I tried to move my container, we tried to move it with a 5000 pound capacity machine, and it wouldn't move it at first. Since it had been sitting next to a tree for a couple of years, one of the roots had grown over the lip of the container and was holding it. A well placed axe chop ended that problem in short order.
David from jax

Oh, and a railroad jack (Simplex house jack) with a foot does a great job of raising each corner.