Moving a cargo container

/ Moving a cargo container #31  
Welcome to TBN.

8000 lbs is only 4 tons, which would be a little bottle jack. I would get a 12 to 20 ton bottle jack to break it loose, then maybe you could lift it some with the hi-lift jacks, but they scare me with a heavy load at any useful lift height.

bottle jacks

Bruce

/ Moving a cargo container #32  
Hey guys, I know I'm reviving a dead thread, but I just need to lift my 40' cargo container, partially filled with random garage stuff, nothing too heavy like empty wood shelves etc. I purchased two hi-lift farm jacks, 8,000lb capacity each, dug a space to put a 2x12 at either corner of a single side, placed the jacks on the boards and in the corner holes and got nothing. The wood went down into the dirt just a little bit, but then after putting my full body weight on the jack handles, the container doesn't budge.

The container has been sitting still for about 7 months now, and I believe it has settled some -- could the dirt/mud around a slightly (1"?) sunken container be creating a problem? How can I solve this without heavy machinery? Is there an easier way than digging out all the way around? I have a lot of clay in my dirt and that will be exhausting!

How stupid of an idea is it to try to apply a "cheater" bar to the jacks? (I have an image in my head of shattering jacks and collapsing containers)
If I'm reading this correctly you have a flat piece of heavy metal 40' long, 8' wide sunk in clay.
With a lot of clay you probably have a suction that a D6 would have trouble breaking loose vertically.
I'd be concerned about warping it IF I could pry up one corner.
Can you move it side to side?
If the floor is solid can you "flood" it outside to get it to float?
You need to break the suction.

We need pics.

/ Moving a cargo container #33  
I would guess that the stuff you have inside weighs more than you think. Unload it as much as possible. I agree that you need to break it loose from the clay.

/ Moving a cargo container #34  
I moved my 45' container about 60' and turned it 90* so I could put my new 40' X 60' building where it sat.
I hooked onto a corner pocket with a chain and lifted with the 3 pt then dragged it going from corner to corner with my 35 hp Branson.
It was almost empty.

Attachments

• DSCN0665.JPG
    DSCN0665.JPG
    723.6 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN0666.JPG
    DSCN0666.JPG
    697.9 KB · Views: 159
   / Moving a cargo container #35  
-------------------------------------------

How stupid of an idea is it to try to apply a "cheater" bar to the jacks? (I have an image in my head of shattering jacks and collapsing containers)
I have used a cheater pipe about twice as long as the handle, with no problem. How much pressure you put on the pipe is up to your gut feeling.

Wear safety glasses.

/ Moving a cargo container #36  
Fair enough, thanks for the input guys. I'll see about emptying it this weekend and giving it a try again.

/ Moving a cargo container #37  
Master sparky keep in mind that jacks can pop out of position with amazing force. Hydraulic bottle jacks you need to be careful with. High lift farm bumper jacks can hurt you bad with ease when they pop loose. They can pop out with incredible speed and force. Many of them have a hole of some type just under the lip of the jack that you can fasten a small short chain to hook on the bumper. The chain can be used to keep it in position. These chains which are often used for curved bumpers can be purchased from the manufacture or make or rig something your self. And/or If it pops out a somewhat loose chain can slow it down and keep it from hitting you. The hi lift jacks are great tools. Just keep in mind a way to fasten them to something to ease off the force they have if they pop out. P.S. They also work as fence stretchers and as comealongs for horizontal pulling of items.

/ Moving a cargo container #38  
I sincerely wish some of you who have moved these CONEXs had videoed the process.
Some things are fun to watch.... :newhere:

Rams

/ Moving a cargo container #39  
I sincerely wish some of you who have moved these CONEXs had videoed the process.

Rams

There are lots of videos on the subject on Youtube.

/ Moving a cargo container #40  

Rams

This is how I moved my 40' container.

First I built this tool to lift it.

#2 Placing roller pipe.JPG

Then I lifted the front and pulled in position.

#7 Pulling container onto new pad.JPG