Alien Invasion - I want my pond back !

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #11  
Eric, I'm staying tuned in. :D

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #12  
I assume you are refering to grass carp? There are many different species of carp and "asian carp" is usally a generic term for either Silver or Bighead carp.

I don't know about in the UK but here in the middle of the U.S. they say ponds need to be at least 6', but preferably 8' deep to survive freezing over in the winter.

Yes. i am referring to Grass Carp. I am not sure how deep the pond has to be but mine is definitely deep enough - about 25' at the deepest but most of it is probably 10'.

If freezing is a problem - but I doubt it thank to the UK being an island with a large relatively constant temperature mass all around it - one can install an aerator.

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back !

By the time 2006 came round I was starting to give the pond dredging some serious thought. September was marked down as the ideal time of year as by then it would hopefully be as dry as possible and with less chance of heavy thunderstorms once we started to dig.

First thing would be to get rid of the water. Either it had been a wet winter or a wet spring, but the water was deeper that summer year than in the previous years. I forget how many gallons I estimated it to be but it wasn't a trivial amount. Another thing to consider was that the land drains nearby feed back into the pond, so when the water came out it would need to be moved quite a way to make sure it didn't run back in again. I got a quote to have it pumped - about 500 pounds ($750) a day, and estimated to take 1 to 2 days.

The year before I bought a well used water pump and 1 1/4" pipe at a farm sale and did a few experiments with it to see how fast it could move water.
IMG_1595.jpg

Not too bad, but I could see I would be spending a lot of time filling the fuel tank.

Another option was to let gravity do the work and suck it out with a siphon. syphon.jpg

Siphons are so simple (I thought at the time), no moving parts, except the one thing you want to move. Just one problem, where to put the water ? A few checks with a theodolite and a tape measure and I reckoned I could clear the rise and get a good 15 yard or so vertical fall if I had 250 yards of pipe to go over the hill and down the other side. That's quite a length of pipe, but I had friends with a lot of 2" diameter MDPE pipe which I had seen in their fields and I was sure they would lend some to me, so it was possibly on.

In my late teens (quite a long time ago) I studied Electrical & Electronic engineering and as part of the training we had to do a few hours a week with the mechanical and hydraulic lecturers. One of them was really enthusiastic about water power, pelton wheel turbines and all sorts of other water related stuff. At the back of my mind I vaguely remembered he had us doing sums on water pipelines. I had kept a text book that was titled "Proper engineering for electrical idiots", or at least words to that effect and sure enough in there was a little section on pipes. A bit more checking on the internet and I was into the magical world of the Hazen Williams equation and Darcy Wiesbach equation. At least this time around I could use a calculator instead of a slide rule for the sums. This let me take a half educated guess at how long it would take to drain the pond - 3 weeks, if my sums and guesses were right.

Well, only one way to find out, give it a try !

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #14  
Add me to the list of those following this to see where it goes! :)

Eddie

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #15  
Not enough water over the dam yet for me to have caught up....listening....

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #16  
I'm all ears!

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #17  
For sure he isn't going to get the 50/50 deal. With the tool in that one picture another glacier well come thru and fill it back in.

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #18  
This is way cool. Eric's bedtime story. One wee chapter per night. :)

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #19  
This is way cool. Eric's bedtime story. One wee chapter per night. :)

I know! First it was "Wind in the Willows"... surely faeries and/or water nymphs are to follow.

Unless his pond has been invaded by <dun-dun-DUN!!!*> 'Travelers'. :eek:

*ominous music

/ Alien Invasion - I want my pond back ! #20  
Is it a frog chorus which keeps him up at night?

Or mosquitoes which torment him both day and night?

Maybe he gets mired to the armpits while setting up the siphon and has to be sucked out of the mud via helicopter!

Or we have an innovative success story involving a solar pump accelerating the siphon flow.

Oh! The agony of having to wait for the next installment ... time travel at its finest!!