New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
I am thinking of getting a brand new 500 gal. propane tank for water storage. Any of you done this ??
Pipe fittings would have to be weld in. Ends thicker than the tank its self.
How thick is the tank??

Thanks for your help & advice.

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #2  
Only problem would be is rust .

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #3  
Right now poly agriculture chemical tanks are fighting for market share. Prices are rock bottom. If you are only storing water a light weight one would work. Get a heavy one (most fertilizer is 11#/gal +) then you're set.

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #4  
Yep, rust would be my concern with a steel tank. What will be the use of the water? I bought a (new) 1000gal plastic septic tank about 10 years ago for less than $300. I use it to collect rain water off the barn and water the garden. About a 1/4" of rain will fill it.

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #5  
1/4" fills a 1000 gallon tank?

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #6  

Big barn :D

I'd also go plastic, but you might end up with algae if it's not cycled through with some frequency. You can cut that down with a shed to keep the sun off, or even painting it black. The side benefit of a black tank is it'll heat itself with solar.

If you're dead set on steel, I'd get it lined with a plastic sealer to keep it from rusting. That's going to be expensive, difficult, or both.

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #8  
Not sure I see the reasoning behind using a tank designed for so much pressure for water storage? Go buy a couple of those 300 gallon totes for water storage. Those are easy to use and move around.

If you are looking for a welding project there may be better ways to utilize a propane tank. I"ve been trying to figure out a use for a 1,000 gallon tank as they are only $750 from this place.
Used Propane Tanks - Repurposed Materials

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #9  
Tornado shelter? :laughing:

/ New PROPANE TANK 4 Water Storage ???? - Welding progect #10  

Yeah, that sounds weird, don't it?

So...
There's 16 square quarter inches in 1 square inch.

There's 144 square inches in 1 square foot.

Let's say your garage is a modest 24' x 32' and has a flat roof.

24' x 32' = 768 square feet.

768 square feet X 144 square inches = 110592 square inches.

110592 square inches X 16 square quarter inches = 1769472 square quarter inches.

Let's say it rains 1/4 inch.

That's now 1,769,472 cubic quarter inches of water.

There's 0.00108225 cubic gallons in one cubic quarter inch (per this calculator https://www.google.com/search?sourc...allon&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64j0l3j5.13067j0j8)

1,769,472 cubic quarter inches X 0.00108225 gallons = 1915.011072 gallons!

Holy cow that's a lot from a modest roof. Never would have thought it was that much. :eek:

Someone double check my math....